Multiple suspension noises | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Due to that same noise ford is buying back my ST after lemon law took effect. Just waiting on the offer from ford to get finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Due to that same noise ford is buying back my ST after lemon law took effect. Just waiting on the offer from ford to get finished.
Did the law take effect because of number of visits/attempted fixes or number of days out of service? Or both?

Here's what I'm telling my dealer tomorrow, nov 13,
Front Suspension Complaint -- The sound I'm hearing only occurs when I pass over rough spots in the road. Not speed bumps or potholes. I can hear the sound when hitting sharp bumps, like a joint in a freeway bridge, but at low speeds on rough spots it is easier to identify. It's not a rattle. It's a low frequency sound like something heavy that is loose.
I'm watching your thread with interest.

Lemon law started because of time in shop. They replaced most front suspension parts and noise was still there. I received my ST on Aug 28th had it for 12 days and its been at dealer since september. Ford says buyback offer takes about three weeks. Just waiting for check.

Here's what I'm telling my dealer tomorrow, nov 13,
Front Suspension Complaint -- The sound I'm hearing only occurs when I pass over rough spots in the road. Not speed bumps or potholes. I can hear the sound when hitting sharp bumps, like a joint in a freeway bridge, but at low speeds on rough spots it is easier to identify. It's not a rattle. It's a low frequency sound like something heavy that is loose.
I'm watching your thread with interest.
My sound was the same as you describe.

If you do a buy back, what is the customary price ? Is it negotiated or is it a refund of purchase price ?

Just received a buyback price which is 575 dollars less than my purchase price. So I will lose around $800 total including tint and black lugs on it. Maybe they can swap lugs out though. Im still thinking if I should take the check and move on or take chance on replacement. What would you do?

I would test drive another and see if you hear the same thing, its possible its just inherent in the design and some make a bit more noise than others. I personal don't hear anything abnormal on mine. Some folks may be more sensitive than others. If you don't hear the noise on another, I would consider taking a trade if its the vehicle you want, maybe get them to toss in a ESP plan as well.

I'd take the buy back and consider picking up a new 2019 Sport. Wish I had resisted the temptation to buy the 2020. It's not ready for prime time.

I'd take the buy back and consider picking up a new 2019 Sport. Wish I had resisted the temptation to buy the 2020. It's not ready for prime time.
It's not that it is not ready from PT. The issue is that when there's a new build these are issues that happened....

Don't miss out on the best performing midsize suv available. Try another. Lengthy test drive. Drive 2. Spend the day in one. I test drove 2 for hours before settling on color...

We are comparing a noise that has yet to be determined where it is coming from but does not affect driveability... vs the 5th gen with junk PTUs, junk EPAS and a junk Water Pump design on a fwd platform...

I'll take the 2020 all day long.

I have a 2020 ST and it has been in the shop for 3 weeks for the clunking sound in the front...they have replaced everything there is 2 times, all the way from struts to bolts to stabalizer inlinks. Done with it ready to move on to something else, and it is a crying shame because it is an awesome suv. I am getting them to do a ford buy back. And probably going to look at a edge ST

FWIW, I tried to replicate on my ST today, and I couldn't hear any such noises. Of course I've only had it for 2 days, so I'm hoping it doesn't start after reading this thread. October 29 build / "blend" date.

Besides the (enjoyable) engine sounds, this thing is so much quieter and tighter than my 2012 Odyssey. I've already caught myself driving way too fast with kiddos in the car, without even realizing it.

Again....it is looking like more confirmation of a theory of suspension noises only propagate on the AWD models? There don't seem to be any issues with 2WD units that I have at least heard of. If all these components have been replace (and disturbed) then its obviously someplace else. I remember a nasty internal rattle I had in a new Honda Civic SI back in 1990. Bought brand new, after a week or so, the dash began to rattle.....and I mean specifically appeared to be coming from the center section of the dash behind the radio. Found the source by accident one night....it was the SUNVISOR!!!!!!. Removed and replaced, no further noises. Just goes to show that noises do travel and may not be exactly coming from where you think they are.

Anyways I too had enough of our 2020 Platinum clunking along like some 20 year old junker....a total embarrassment did not sit well at all, hence the dealer exchange for the 2WD Avaitor Reserve. This car drives so much nicer than the Explorer did sans clunks! 2WD with 400 HP....oh yeah it goes, and we have no complaints at all with this one. Just glad the pestering and myther is over with now.

Im getting my buyback check on Monday due to lemon law. Its a shame because I really enjoyed the ST but until Ford gets better quality control and works out the bugs I will be going elsewhere. Just ordered a Telluride SX. Much slower but nicer. Our rental ST also made the front end clunking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im getting my buyback check on Monday due to lemon law. Its a shame because I really enjoyed the ST but until Ford gets better quality control and works out the bugs I will be going elsewhere. Just ordered a Telluride SX. Much slower but nicer. Our rental ST also made the front end clunking.

I am sure there will be a TSB for this in the near future. It wont take long for Ford to get these lemon laws back and have their engineering team figure it out.

Sorry to see you switch over to a Korean vehicle.

Back