• Register Today It's free!

Auto 4x4 Disable possible?

Chris Swanson

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and when the auto 4x4 engages sometimes makes me slide on turns. If I disconnect the 4x4 selector switch or put a separate switch to open that circuit behind the panel, would that disable my auto 4x4 or would it default to auto?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brown Wire Mod.

Wait a minute... LoL

I've been on this forum for years, so of course I've heard of the brown wire mod. But I've basically ignored it as I have a 5.0. I've always assumed it removed the auto 4x4 but also assumed there was a 2wd setting on those things. There isnt? No wonder the brown wire mod is so popular!

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread...

The AWD system is a full time AWD. There is no shifting of any kind.

brown wire mod
OR
control trac delete, install the t case from a non control trac truck like a Ranger or sport trac (1354e) is also possible

I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and when the auto 4x4 engages sometimes makes me slide on turns. If I disconnect the 4x4 selector switch or put a separate switch to open that circuit behind the panel, would that disable my auto 4x4 or would it default to auto?
No switch = AWD forever. It’s always in AWD even in 4x4 high or low. The selector is basically just changing the gear ratio. Think of it like this Auto = 30/70 4x4 high = 50/50 4x4 low = 50/50 just in a lower gear.

No switch = AWD forever. It’s always in AWD even in 4x4 high or low. The selector is basically just changing the gear ratio. Think of it like this Auto = 30/70 4x4 high = 50/50 4x4 low = 50/50 just in a lower gear.

AWD has no switches, feeds power to front wheels via a viscous clutch, always engaged. FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE having switches has NO VISCOUS CLUTCH, but rather an electronic clutch, may be ON or OFF. With the latter 4X4 AUTO engages the clutch when wheel slippage is detected. 4X4 HIGH keeps clutch engaged until switch out, 4X4 LOW feeds all power through a gear reduction, part to front wheels, part to rear. Shift schedules are modified in 4X4 LOW to shift sooner, more positively.

AWD provides NO GEAR REDUCTION.

Back