Multiple suspension noises | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

I wonder if anyone has woke up yet at Ford and investigated or even noticed there are buybacks starting to happen with this new release? That noise can be addressed, either with a simple adjustment or a re-designed part. How much fiscal pain needs to happen before somebody gets off their a$$ and does something about it. I have no doubt whatever the culprit is, its likely to be an easy fix....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure there will be a TSB for this in the near future. It wont take long for Ford to get these lemon laws back and have their engineering team figure it out.

Sorry to see you switch over to a Korean vehicle.
I never thought I would in a million years. And no employee discount like I get with Ford but its still cheaper fully loaded. After seeing a Telluride in person I couldn't pass it up. I will miss the fun of the ST but my scat pack charger will fulfill that. Best of luck with your vehicle.

I wonder if anyone has woke up yet at Ford and investigated or even noticed there are buybacks starting to happen with this new release? That noise can be addressed, either with a simple adjustment or a re-designed part. How much fiscal pain needs to happen before somebody gets off their a$$ and does something about it. I have no doubt whatever the culprit is, its likely to be an easy fix....
I'm guessing that perhaps they are as much in the dark about the cause as are all the mechanics that have checked this mysterious noise.

Peter

The world does not revolve around posters on this site. We all know problems get attention while happiness goes on unheard.
If this was some sort of plaque, or even common, a TSB would be out already.
Meanwhile, my biggest issue is trying to keep ours clean.

Another update on our ST. So far we are at 15 days in the shop, inspections by 2 dealerships, one of which was directed by Ford to replace both struts, and the noise continues. I contacted Ford directly yesterday and now have a case number. They are asking me to take it back to the dealership, which will now be the 3rd time in the shop. Just really tired of messing with it. Love the vehicle, but this is annoying and time consuming.

If anyone has a u tube video of that clunking noise from the suspension, please post it here. I have some very subtle rattles over minor bumps but if someone can replicate a video of it then it would be much clearer for all of EX owners.

If anyone has a u tube video of that clunking noise from the suspension, please post it here. I have some very subtle rattles over minor bumps but if someone can replicate a video of it then it would be much clearer for all of EX owners.
If you are hearing it....thats it.

The noises are subtle, they are not loud, they are when going over slightly uneven pavement. I always have mine in sport mode and was going on Garden State Parkway, N.J not feeling the speed and then was followed by state highway trooper for a few minutes before he thankfully changed his mind and merged in another highway.

ST is crazy fast with a rear wheel drive based feels good driving around corners. I will get in trouble one day.

The noises are subtle, they are not loud, they are when going over slightly uneven pavement. I always have mine in sport mode and was going on Garden State Parkway, N.J not feeling the speed and then was followed by state highway trooper for a few minutes before he thankfully changed his mind and merged in another highway.

ST is crazy fast with a rear wheel drive based feels good driving around corners. I will get in trouble one day.
Any abnormal noise in a $55K automobile compromises a good sense of value and quality. Such noises should be regulated to a 20 year old Lada 1200 costing no more than 10,000 rubles....that is to be expected. Jus' sayin'.... certainly not for this vehicle.

Agree. Difficult to capture on video, somewhat subtle but noticeable (especially once you’ve heard it for the first time), and inexcusable for a $55k vehicle.

The noise we heard on our 2020 3 day old ST was underneath the vehicle and kinda like a sloshing mixed with a clunking.
We were on flat roads and under 40-45 MPH and in a parking lot. The wife rocked the vehicle while in park and off to try to replicate it to no avail and we did not hear it after as of yet.

Another update. Vehicle is now at the dealership for the 3rd time, this after the shock replacement did nothing to stop the noise. Now they believe the sound originates somewhere near the transmission (not necessarily the transmission itself) so apparently that’s where they are focusing their attention next. I will say that the gentleman I’m working with at Ford Customer Support is fantastic. Certainly has been very helpful and prompt.

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum I just got a week ago and has this exact noise that has perplexed me. I also had a fluttering noise under the vehicle on he way home form he dealership. Found a nut and washer was missing on the noise buffering panel under the body. I replaced that myself and fixed that. I'd like to solve this other noise we are all talking about. Its not just Ford that has issues with expensive cars. I have a 2015 BMW 528i that has had the entire front suspension replaced over the span of 2 years chasing a bushing rubber type noise solved finally but crap happens. I just want a solution.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Congrats on the new Platinum.

Peter

Another update. Vehicle is now at the dealership for the 3rd time, this after the shock replacement did nothing to stop the noise. Now they believe the sound originates somewhere near the transmission (not necessarily the transmission itself) so apparently that’s where they are focusing their attention next. I will say that the gentleman I’m working with at Ford Customer Support is fantastic. Certainly has been very helpful and prompt.

Latest update...they are going to replace the stabilizer links sometime next week when the parts arrive. 23 days in the shop and counting.

Latest update...they are going to replace the stabilizer links sometime next week when the parts arrive. 23 days in the shop and counting.
they have already done that to mine and no fix, they are buying mine back.

they have already done that to mine and no fix, they are buying mine back.
How many days was it in the shop before the repurchase offer? Did you initiate the repurchase or did Ford?

How many days was it in the shop before the repurchase offer? Did you initiate the repurchase or did Ford?

You have to call and request a buy back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they wanted to continue the fixing process, so I told them that they can do whatever they like that I was going to do the lemon law...that's when they stopped me right away and said that they would buy it back from me.

Back