Sound after sitting a while | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

Welcome to the Forum Carol.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one.
These newer vehicles do make "wake up" noises. I just got a new Aviator and it makes more noises than any previous vehicle both when first opening the door and also after shutting it off. I sometimes just stand there in the garage listening to all the little noises after parking it. Quite entertaining.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me as well like it could be a pump grinding. Common for modern cars to prime the fuel pump when a door is opened.
I'd pull the fuel pump relay and see if it still does it.

I was just wondering if you have been able to resolve this issue yet. The dealer where I bought it told me it was "normal". Which I don't except, so I was referred to Ford customer service. They created a ticket, and told me my next step was to get a second opinion form another dealer. It is at the shop now, this is day 4, and I am still waiting on them to call me and tell me what they found.

This is no small issue/event. The fact that Ford has introduced an entirely new vehicle with numerous new features, gismos might prompt them (Ford) to include some sort of technical publication explaining these new features. If nothing else they could add it to the website. Asking at the dealership/service center doesn't produce anything more than a shoulder shrug. Or, "gee I dunno know, I'll ask the tech".

This is no small issue/event. The fact that Ford has introduced an entirely new vehicle with numerous new features, gismos might prompt them (Ford) to include some sort of technical publication explaining these new features. If nothing else they could add it to the website. Asking at the dealership/service center doesn't produce anything more than a shoulder shrug. Or, "gee I dunno know, I'll ask the tech".
There are plenty of stuff on YOU TUBE...

all normal. i found out some of the sound is the brake system and awd system recalibrating when opening a door. braking is brake by wire so the system always initializes when opening a door. on top of that, the power sequence for relays for the screens to display upon opening a door. then, other sounds are the fuel pump. it’s a lot of stuff happening when the door is opened for both explorer and aviator.

the awd system may sound like gears crunching. the braking system had those pump sounds that repeat.

all normal. i found out some of the sound is the brake system and awd system recalibrating when opening a door. braking is brake by wire so the system always initializes when opening a door. on top of that, the power sequence for relays for the screens to display upon opening a door. then, other sounds are the fuel pump. it’s a lot of stuff happening when the door is opened for both explorer and aviator.

the awd system may sound like gears crunching. the braking system had those pump sounds that repeat.

The door does not have to be opened or closed. If you park it, shut it off and if you sit there for 15 or 20 minutes or so, you can hear all kids of sounding noises at all kids of times, even after 10 minutes of shutting it off there are squeaking sounds going on.

Yes. That is the braking system mostly with the sounds for 30 seconds to a minute after closing the door or shutting it off. They don't go on for 15 to 20 minutes unless you're app on your phone is communicating with the vehicle or you have pressed a button on your key fob. Squeaking???

The door does not have to be opened or closed. If you park it, shut it off and if you sit there for 15 or 20 minutes or so, you can hear all kids of sounding noises at all kids of times, even after 10 minutes of shutting it off there are squeaking sounds going on.

So I have had my 2020 ST for over a month. I park in my garage. If I come home and go inside then come back out in the garage without a key fob anywhere around after just about any amount of time(typically 10+ minutes) and walk past the car(say to go out the side door) the car starts making all kinds of clicking and electric motor hum sounds. I don't even have to touch the car, just walk past it. The car has to be noticing me walking by it and that activates the actions. I just don't know what there for. Especially since there is no key fob near the car. I have to assume its normal. I just don't understand why it does it with no inter action from me except walking near it. I wonder if it would do the same thing with the doors locked...ill have to test that.

Jadento

So I have had my 2020 ST for over a month. I park in my garage. If I come home and go inside then come back out in the garage without a key fob anywhere around after just about any amount of time(typically 10+ minutes) and walk past the car(say to go out the side door) the car starts making all kinds of clicking and electric motor hum sounds. I don't even have to touch the car, just walk past it. The car has to be noticing me walking by it and that activates the actions. I just don't know what there for. Especially since there is no key fob near the car. I have to assume its normal. I just don't understand why it does it with no inter action from me except walking near it. I wonder if it would do the same thing with the doors locked...ill have to test that.

Jadento
The car my need a priest....

Welcome to the Forum jadento.:wave:

That definitely is not normal. Does this also happen after the vehicle has been sitting for an hour or more? How far would the nearest fob be? It could just be that different systems are shutting down. I've stood around after shutting my vehicle off and there seems to be a symphony of different sounds.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum jadento.:wave:

That definitely is not normal. Does this also happen after the vehicle has been sitting for an hour or more? How far would the nearest fob be? It could just be that different systems are shutting down. I've stood around after shutting my vehicle off and there seems to be a symphony of different sounds.

Peter
No it’s normal. Mine’s been doing that sort of thing since bringing it home almost 5 months ago. It can be sitting ice cold, not having been driven for days, I go out to the garage to get a tool off the workbench, key fob still hanging on the hook indoors, and the Explorer starts whizzing and clicking as I get within a foot or so.

I’m thinking of naming it Christine.

No it’s normal. Mine’s been doing that sort of thing since bringing it home almost 5 months ago. It can be sitting ice cold, not having been driven for days, I go out to the garage to get a tool off the workbench, key fob still hanging on the hook indoors, and the Explorer starts whizzing and clicking as I get within a foot or so.

I’m thinking of naming it Christine.

Peter would not know, he does not have an ST.

I have walked within 12" of my ST dozens of times and have never heard it do any of the noises once it settles down from driving it. I walked past it 6 times last night in a matter of 10 minutes going in and out of my garage and nothing.

Mine definitely makes noises after time... sometimes when I'm sitting in it waiting for a prolonged period, and others when its just been sitting in the driveway... the first few times I thought I was crazy, but the dog was staring at ST too, so I know she heard it too....

I've heard mine "detect" my presents, don't recall if I had my key fob on my or not. Could be your smartphone and the Ford App talking to Sync to wake things up (pure unfounded speculation).

Could also be the cameras around the vehicle detecting presence. Mine makes noises when I am near it as well. Also noticed the mirrors folding in/out when I sprayed it with water during wash. This was when I was standing in front, so maybe it is detecting water on the windshield even when it's off.

Well, I’ll be sitting on my deck, nothing near it , key fob inside... dog behind the fence... nobody walking by it.... and will hear it “check” itself. It’s happened a few times... so figuring it’s just normal....

I have walked within 12" of my ST dozens of times and have never heard it do any of the noises once it settles down from driving it. I walked past it 6 times last night in a matter of 10 minutes going in and out of my garage and nothing.
Maybe you should talk to it nicer ;)

Well, I’ll be sitting on my deck, nothing near it , key fob inside... dog behind the fence... nobody walking by it.... and will hear it “check” itself. It’s happened a few times... so figuring it’s just normal....
I would love to hear some official Ford input on what is going on. For the life of me, I can’t visualize what exactly is going on - the noises are that mysterious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if this is what is causing some Explorers to go into Deep Sleep mode due to battery drain?

Peter

Back