• Register Today It's free!

P0305 issue. Need help

MountyMan06

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 mountaineer premier
So I'll start off with this. Got a p0305, stating ignition/fuel issue, misfire. 2006 mountaineer, 4.6L.

Found plug to be dead. Changed that. No resolve. Changed coil.. still misfiring. Changed fuel inj., still not helping. It will run slightly rough, not horrible. But as soon as its in gear, any gear, feels like it will stall and shakes bad. Now i noticed cyl 1 coil is cracked on top a bit, hooked up to computer, checked the spark duration on all 8cyl, one is acting a bit speratic. Will change this out but wondering if any of you have any other ideas besides changing this out. I'm not getting a cyl1 misfire, so that's why I'm curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the coil is visually bad, why not replace it?

My money is on it being the culprit...

If the coil is visually bad, why not replace it?

My money is on it being the culprit...

Update. CP and plug on cyl 1 did nothing to help. Tried to do a compression test but cant find a fitting to screw into cyl5 head. So im still at a loss.

You will need an M16 thread adapter for your compression tester. Lisle # 20380 should fit.

Check each harness and plug going to each coil.
Replace the plugs with broken clips.
I had # 4 wires with insulation gone and it would actually stall the engine while driving and throw codes not related to the issue.
Took me 2 months to figure it out. I even replaced the intake runner module behind the intake twice since the codes were reading it to be bad. I think the old one was actually ok but the short was sending some weird messages to PCM.

Back