Oil Change interval | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I would think that the recommended interval mentioned in the Manual is probably based on the recommendations of its engineers.

Peter
The same engineers who designed the PTU with its pint of fluid that is good for life? Yeah, because those guys clearly know.....

All they care about is trying to ensure you get out of the warranty period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The same engineers who designed the PTU with its pint of fluid that is good for life? Yeah, because those guys clearly know.....

All they care about is trying to ensure you get out of the warranty period.

Those same engineers who prescribed Mercon V as the proper fluid for transfer cases? Years later the TC failures made the engineers come up with a new XL-12 fluid especially for transfer cases, which apparently matches the old Mercon/Dexron III fluid.

Interesting yes, and the book was wrong, again. As I said, the manual is a guide, not an infallible absolute, simply a guide based on information at the time(past).

What I've always worried about are the twin turbos that can really put a lot of heat on the oil. I don't flog the engine all the time but, do use the turbos for some fast starts from stoplights and wide open entrances onto the highway from about 30-40 mph on the ramp. With my forced air mods on the air chamber (see air intake-from where?), I do spin the thing right up there near red line often enough to think about that heat. Run 93 premium and like the way it performs. Never checked the mileage as the way I drive--it will be low and I don't care. So, I've been doing the changes at 5K or so. I buy'em and drive them off the dealer lot. Then 14-15 years (or more), later, when they are not worth fixing, winch them up on the ramp truck for the junkyard trip. I'm 77, have been a wrench since I was 14, so, yes, I remember the old days when we would build a high performance engine and run it down the road for about 30 miles on break-in oil and then change the oil and filter. And then, change it again at about 500 miles. You would not believe the amount of metal that would be stuck to the magnetic drain plug. In closing, it's whatever makes you happy that's important here; whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever you think you should do. We're all different and most likely will have different opinions on this and everything else in life. Regards. Honky.

Actual Oil Change Frequency for Turbo 3.5L

Hello all,

I am enjoying my '18 Platinum. Lot's of positives even coming from my loved '07 Toyota 4Runner Limited.

Question: How often do you "really" change your oil?

I'm about to turn 20K on the clock and my 3rd oil change. I'm down to 15% on the monitor. I checked the level the other night, found it full, but absolutely black in color. I am running full synthetic Mobil 1 (as I do successfully in everything I own) but this black-out situation is making me wonder.

I know that the turbos do challenge oil a bit more than NA engines so I am asking the community if they have the same color-issue and whether they change more often in response.

Thanks ahead !!

It is the same recommended interval for both Ecoboost and NA engines. Is that 15% since your last change? If so, something doesn't seem right if it was all normal driving. How many miles is that?

Peter

Oil color isn't a good indication of whether it's still good or not. It's supposed to turn black as the detergents bind to contaminants. If you're wondering about the best interval to use, send a sample to Blacktone labs.

Do you do a lot of short trips or do you get it up to running temperature when you go out?

Also like was mentioned oil color is not a good indication of the oils condition or if it needs to be changed.

Oil additives, heat cycles and soot can cause oil to darken. Soot is a byproduct of incomplete combustion and blowby. My eb fusion oil darkens way faster than my vehicles with na engines.

I typically shoot for 5-6k or 6 months for oil changes on my vehicles. On my Ford's, that's about 25-40% remaining on the olm.

I typically target 15-25% on mine, which nets around 7000-8000 miles. I sent a few samples to Blackstone with decent reports. I usually run Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower...whatever is on sale.

Oil color is not an indication of the oil needing to be changed. I typically do 7500 to 10000 on my oil changes, full synthetic and follow the OCI. I have sent several samples to Blackstone over the years, and they always tell me I could have gone more mileage than what I did for the sample I sent in.

Oil color is not an indication of the oil needing to be changed. I typically do 7500 to 10000 on my oil changes, full synthetic and follow the OCI. I have sent several samples to Blackstone over the years, and they always tell me I could have gone more mileage than what I did for the sample I sent in.

So... based on that feedback, sounds like it's best to just follow the Oil Life Monitor and not overthink it. That's what I do anyway.

So... based on that feedback, sounds like it's best to just follow the Oil Life Monitor and not overthink it. That's what I do anyway.
Just note that some opine that oil should be changed at mileage or time intervals. For average drivers putting 10-12K miles/yr on their vehicle, some schools of thought suggest no more than 6 months between oil changes with a max of 12 months (depending on type of oil used).

If you really want to see what your oil is doing get a free test kit from Blackstone and send it in. They will give you a very detailed breakdown of the oil, what's in the oil, and how the oil itself is doing. Then you can make a informed decision.

Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine
Just to be fair for those that will only see the word "FREE" in your comment, everyone should understand that although the test kit is free, the test results will cost $28 (+$10 for TBN). I don't know what everyone else is paying for oil/filters, but I typically get 6 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter for between $20-30 depending on sales/rebates. An average/normal person that drives 10-12K miles a year may be better off skipping oil testing and putting the $28-38/yr testing cost towards an extra oil change or something else entirely.

Just note that some opine that oil should be changed at mileage or time intervals. For average drivers putting 10-12K miles/yr on their vehicle, some schools of thought suggest no more than 6 months between oil changes with a max of 12 months (depending on type of oil used).

Just to be fair for those that will only see the word "FREE" in your comment, everyone should understand that although the test kit is free, the test results will cost $28 (+$10 for TBN). I don't know what everyone else is paying for oil/filters, but I typically get 6 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter for between $20-30 depending on sales/rebates. An average/normal person that drives 10-12K miles a year may be better off skipping oil testing and putting the $28-38/yr testing cost towards an extra oil change or something else entirely.

Thanks for the clarification on "free", I assumed that was probably the case. I think the optimal solution though might be to test once at a point where you think the oil might be due for a change but before the factory interval - that way you should have a good idea of whether or not you need to change it early every time, or if you're just doing it needlessly out of fear. Testing every time is not cost-effective but testing once probably would be (or at least worth peace of mind if you want to change close to factory intervals).

Sorry that I didn't indicate that there was actually a cost for the test itself, that is why I said free test kit and not a free test.

However if you are up there in mileage and are wondering about coolant leaking into the oil and killing the engine the test will also tell you if there is any coolant in the oil.

Once every year or couple of years gives some piece of mind that what I am doing is the right thing.

I do not test mine with every oil change. That would be a waste of money. I will do the test on the oil ever 4 to 5 oil changes and then compare to the last test for that vehicle. Blackstone would like you to test every oil change, but that's just crazy talk.

Thanks for the clarification on "free", I assumed that was probably the case. I think the optimal solution though might be to test once at a point where you think the oil might be due for a change but before the factory interval - that way you should have a good idea of whether or not you need to change it early every time, or if you're just doing it needlessly out of fear. Testing every time is not cost-effective but testing once probably would be (or at least worth peace of mind if you want to change close to factory intervals).
If you want to try and run extended drain intervals, you should be prepared to test regularly to keep an eye on the results.

Stuff can change as engines age and wear. Usage can change over time. Oil formulations can change slightly along with other things that could change test results. At that point, random info from a single test would probably qualify as interesting, but irrelevant. Same as testing every 4-5 oil changes. For me that would mean testing every 2 to 2.5 years. I'm also not sure about hoping to luck into a random test that might just happen to show excess coolant usage.

If you do simple stuff, like check your oil every month and monitor other stuff, like coolant levels and such at the same interval, that would be a better plan (also has no real cost other than a few minutes of your time once a month).

Anyway, not poo pooing any one else's choices. Best of luck to all.

Replace the air filter regularly also, that helps the oil as well as the engine etc.

Replace the air filter regularly also, that helps the oil as well as the engine etc.
But how do you know when to replace it or how long it will really last? What if I want to run extended air filter intervals?

If one is going to do other pm on a regular schedule, then why bother testing oil? Just pick a schedule and do it. The primary reason for extending maintenance intervals is to try and reduce cost and for environmental reasons. If you aren't concerned with costs and are an environmentalist, then test away regularly and run it as long as possible.

There is no easy or inexpensive way for the average person to ensure they are getting all the life out of filters and fluids. If you follow a maintenance schedule, you will inevitable replace something before it is fully used up or broken, but that is the point of maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as engine protection, replacing air filter more often is actually worse than letting it get dirty. An air filter is least efficient when it is new and increases in filtering efficiency as it gets dirty.

Back