• Register Today It's free!

Outside temp display

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Hey guys display took a crap as well as the lights all my other cab light work expect these ( changed the bulbs ) was wondering is anyone knew we’re I could find parts to rebuild this myself or offer any advise otherwise.

5E99784A-E723-4BC3-BE50-33163B964A1A.jpeg

1799A0B6-CEB6-44B9-A160-29F5CA58638B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when I messed with mine cleaning ut the lens, ( both worked then did';t) the windows also quit working, blew a GEM module fuse.

I need to look at mine. One side works as it should, other side nothing. New bulbs, one side still dead. I might just harvest one from the junkyard, hoping it will solve my issue...

Yes! Mine did also! But I Replaced every fuse in the fuse panel inside of the explore in the windows and everything started working again the only thing that wasn’t working was the outside temperature monitor and the lights won’t work on it either

The temp display might have some cracked solder joints. This post might help, Overhead console display fix

I fixed mine, and fixed my g'f's mom's on her 2000 F-150.

There’s was ALOT of great information there but I don’t know if y’all noticed or not but this piece is broken also any ideas on how to fix this?

008DA1B9-7CAE-4930-8412-25641CACD4FC.jpeg

Is just your lens broken? Or is something inside the housing messed up as well? I’ve got one of those in my parts Mounty, I’m sure.

It’s the thin micro chip looking part that’s broken and I don’t think I can fix it without it

I soldered to the wires, not the copper film, and installed a pair of LEDs.

I’d just grab a new console rather than trying to get individual pieces of it. I’m sure they can be had really cheap.

Will do I will hit up
My local pick and pull to see what they have

Subscribed, these kinds of electrical issues will be the toughest problems ongoing.

We need a source for repairs for these things, like the radios, message centers, compass, EATC etc. Those are all full of fragile transistors etc, things which wouldn't cost much to buy, but finding them and fixing them is the tricky part.

I had a source to repair my Lincoln items, but he retired a year or so back. He(Paul Protos) could rebuild all of the OEM Mark VII stuff, including the cd changers and the amps. We miss that kind of skill/help.

Yes sir that would be nice I kinda find joy in working on the explorer this is more or less the first vehicle I have had to work on so it’s fun but frustrating at the same time

OP - Are you saying your temp/compass display and the map lights are out but all the other interior lights work?

First thing to do is see if you're getting 12V power and ground to the overhead console. If you are then at least the map lights should work. If you just replaced the map light bulbs it's possible the copper foil that conducts the power and ground for the bulbs got wrinkled up and isn't making contact to the bulbs any more. This is a common issue with these lights. You can carefully realign the foil as long as you haven't ripped it. Also, if you're trying to use LED bulbs, they must be plugged in the right (+/-) way to work.

As far as the temp/compass display... There are 2 small resistors on the circuit board inside the display module. These resistors get hot and can break their solder joints to the circuit board. This is also a common issue. I've repaired several of these boards by re-soldered these resistors. They're small square silver colored resistors. I've even had one actually fall off the board. If you have a small soldering iron it's an easy fix.

Here's the link:
Overhead console display fix

Just to add,
the trick to those surface mount chips is to hold down on it with a small tool while heating one end only. Heating both sides , or not holding it down might make it jump off. Usually just a touch with a well tinned iron tip will do it.

So, You’re Scared Of Surface Mount

Back