• Register Today It's free!

Sudden no heat? 98 explorer

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
So yeah all of a sudden today i habe mo heat when just. Before it was too hot at times. Car is getting up to temp and not overheating. Heat core hoses feel warm/hot to the touch.

Not sure where to start ive always lost AC never my heat!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clogged heater core..? Take hoses off / firewall and spray/flush with garden hose and re-check.....with the age of it don't super blast it as it could create leak....just strong flow from hose...

I suspect the heater core clog less because the hoses are hot, but it's possible there is just so little flow from a clog that this is the case. Otherwise it might be the blend door itself has a broken shaft or the electric actuator for it.

You could take the glovebox out, take the blend door actuator off and see if it turns as you adjust the HVAC from hot to cold, remembering to return it to the correct position if it works, and also seeing if you can move the blend door it connects to manually to get heat.

If you're still on your original heater core hoses, I'd check the blend door first, before disturbing such old hoses to check for a core clog, unless you intend to replace them while you're at it.

Broken blend door or non-working blend door actuator = suddenly no heat.

Ditto. First turn the heat on, to the max/90 setting. If that doesn't get any heat, the blend door is probably not moving enough to the heat position.

The heat came back on so now im kinda worried haha. I decided to leave the controls alone for the time being. My coolant is leaking very slowly from the freeze plugs looks like so i know the coolant hasnt been dirty i dubni if it was clogged or what

A broken blend door can flop back and forth from heat to no heat.

Back