• Register Today It's free!

2013 cooling fans off with a/c

Coool1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Replaced the low side Schrader valve on AC line.. While charging system noticed fan were not running with AC on ... Stoped charging system.... And high idled engine until it switched on fans near normal operating temps... So my question is... should fans be running period when AC is on ... regardless of engine temperature?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe the fans are temperature (engine) controlled. That being said, I don't believe they stay OFF very long after starting the engine.

Peter

Replaced the low side Schrader valve on AC line.. While charging system noticed fan were not running with AC on ... Stoped charging system.... And high idled engine until it switched on fans near normal operating temps... So my question is... should fans be running period when AC is on ... regardless of engine temperature?
No.

Yes, I agree with you about that... But... My question is about when the A/C is on.... Many vehicles I have worked on.... Override temp control and run whenever the AC is on to cool condenser coil...

The cooling fans are controlled by the PCM which will operate them whenever its programming tells it to.

Might seem odd for an old school guy, but that programming takes into account a larger number of inputs than only whether or not the compressor is operating.

Yes, I agree with you about that... But... My question is about when the A/C is on.... Many vehicles I have worked on.... Override temp control and run whenever the AC is on to cool condenser coil...
The AC system is controlled by pressure, not temperature. The HVAC controls tell the compressor to turn or off based on the temp setting in the cabin. If the refrigerant pressure is too high or too low, the compressor will not start.

Keeping that in mind, there are no temp sensors in the refrigerant system, only pressure. No matter what the temperature of the freon is, if the pressure is ok, it'll allow the compressor to start/run. There is no direct connection from the compressor to the cooling fans. The indirect connection is when the compressor runs, the PCM kicks the idle up a bit to keep up with the load of the compressor, which burns more fuel which makes more heat which increases the coolant temp and then the fans come on.

I agree that there are many factors taken into account for cooling fan operation. Engine temp, A/C system pressure, vehicle speed....+others (ambient temp?)?

I know my low speed fans come on when A/C is on and engine temp is low (like first starting the morning as long as ambient temp is above threshold). Fans come on to keep condenser (and A/C system) operating properly. They aren't just for controlling engine temp.

The AC system is controlled by pressure, not temperature.
Actually, the OP's vehicle (2013 Explorer) uses both pressure and temperature sensors in the AC system. T.he temperature sensor is at the evaporator outlet

Actually, the OP's vehicle (2013 Explorer) uses both pressure and temperature sensors in the AC system. T.he temperature sensor is at the evaporator outlet
Thanks! Learned something new today.

Back