• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Questions

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
I can find a few different brands of remote start kits (without keyless entry, those are double cost) for ~$60 on amazon. My question to you is, is there any threads here on installing these on a first gen? Tried the search function, didnt see a how to, or much useful information. Also, am I going to need some sort of bypass module for the ignition? Read that somewhere, no more info...
Thinking about it, perhaps I should just get keyless entry as well while I'm down in the nitty gritty of the electrical.
Is it a simple as finding the wires and splicing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it's a simple metal key, you will not need any kind of bypass module. Here's a thread that covers the wiring colors, and points to other threads. It's not overly difficult... it is just cutting and splicing. It's a little tight quarters, you will want a good set of tools to keep the frustration down. Make good connections, don't just rip off insulation, wrap the wire, and cover it in cheap electrical tape.

Consider when you cut a Factory wire put 1/2 of a connector there and the other half on the other side of the Factory wire. That way if you have problems later you can simply plug the wires back together. And use quality connectors not cheap crimp set ones.

Keyless entry requires installing relays. If that is OK go for it :)

Consider when you cut a Factory wire put 1/2 of a connector there and the other half on the other side of the Factory wire. That way if you have problems later you can simply plug the wires back together. And use quality connectors not cheap crimp set ones.

Keyless entry requires installing relays. If that is OK go for it :)

Thank you for the tip. Keyless entry seems a little more involved than I feel it's worth for me. I think I can just stick with remote start. I will do some more research on that. Thank you.

Get a decent, well-known, brand.

I bought a cheapie mystery brand after a Black Friday sale. My ex-neighbor, who installed many when he worked at the local Ford dealer, told me to, “Take that crap back, and buy a decent one. They are not that much more. Don’t even think about buying a used one either.”

I have been thinking occationally of adding remote start to mine. A new basic Viper system is only $64.99 OBO on eBay...

Back