'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Winch couldn't have for any better Everything looks so clean and tight, I'm having doubts about adding an upper tube.
KIMG1713.JPG
KIMG1714.JPG

perfect!!

are those cough cough auto hubs????

perfect!!

are those cough cough auto hubs????

Haha, ya those are still auto hubs on there. They're only staying until the D44 knuckles go on, which should be shortly after our Thanksgiving snow run.

Did a little bend test to verify that I don't need the top bar to support the outer wings of the bumper. Got zero deflection. I'm good with that!

KIMG1716.JPG

Self etching primer

KIMG1718.JPG

4 coats of Rust-Oleum Satin

KIMG1719.JPG

Finalized relocating the solenoid box to the core support and extending the wires for the controller plug. Ran the main wires through a grommet in the core support to go to the battery.

KIMG1721.JPG

KIMG1716.JPG

very very very nice!!
I wish I had a lounge area in the shop......it has always been one of the goals but so far the space reserved for couches always gets used up by more parts!!!!
Now go snap one of those auto hubs maybe you can take out a turkey :)

Beautiful Work sir. I really wish I had the skills to build something like that. I need something like that for My Ex. :)

very very very nice!!
I wish I had a lounge area in the shop......it has always been one of the goals but so far the space reserved for couches always gets used up by more parts!!!!
Now go snap one of those auto hubs maybe you can take out a turkey :)

Thank you!

When I got this shop I made a point of planning and setting it up completely before starting my first project. Don't get me wrong, every other square inch is full of tools and shelving. I just picked up a so press that has no home yet. But ... The couches stay!

I see popping a turkey as a good thing; i get a turkey and a reason to expedite my D44 knuckles!

Beautiful Work sir. I really wish I had the skills to build something like that. I need something like that for My Ex. :)

I really appreciate the compliments. Honestly, I can't claim a whole lot of skill in doing this kind of fab work. To me, it's problem solving and taking the time get it right. Skill comes in getting it right the first time, and I'll be the first to admit, I don't get everything right the first time!

Had a great weekend with the Explorer! Temperature in camp Saturday morn was 1 degree! We met up with our old wheeling club for our annual Freeze Your Buns run up Little Naches outside of Yakima WA. Tradition is to go to the lookout at Raven's Roost. Some years that takes all day. This year there was only about 10 inches of fresh at the top. Along the way we picked up a nice little Christmas tree.

After the run to the top we ran the lower portion of the Kayner Flats trail which had some hill climbs that the snow definitely made challenging. My old bald BFG AT's effectively made the Ex a Zamboni glazing the fresh snow in to packed ice. I made it everywhere, but with each passing rig the hills got tougher. Total carnage was 2 broken Jeep JL wheels (both on the same rig, at the same time), and a broken front driveshaft in a IH Scout.

The Explorer was flawless! It was certainly nice having a cab and heat. My wife and little man appreciated it!

FB_IMG_1575341857588.jpg
FB_IMG_1575341831487.jpg
FB_IMG_1575341865513.jpg
FB_IMG_1575341876488.jpg
FB_IMG_1575341882981.jpg
KIMG1733.JPG
KIMG1732.JPG

Looks like you all had a great time. about 6 ish years ago We did a Black Friday run. Was a lot of fun.

Here's a video made by one our good friends who went on the run with us. He's definitely not afraid to wheel his new Jeep JL!

how the heck do you break two wheels? Are jeeps just begging to throw parts at the ford or what?
I will watch the video! Looks like fun, glad the sport did well she looks awesome!

Tear down of the D44 has started. One valuable lesson learned for anyone sourcing D44 parts; 95-96 D44 TTB's used a spindle/ seal/ hub that is different from all others. It's common (as in with my parts axle) for people to use incorrect seals, which leads to water and rust in the hubs/ bearings. It's important to know that replacement 96 style spindles are not available, nor is the hubs. If you ruin a spindle you have to swap spindle/hub/ seals to the 91-94 style.

My spindles aren't great, they have quite a bit of corrosion, but they should clean up ok.

Also note the 5 bolt pattern of the spindle. I know there has been talk of swapping late model D44 spindles on to D35 knuckles. I'll see what that looks like when I tear down my D35.

Here's the comparison of D44 spindles from year to year:
Screenshot_20191208-123115.png

Here's my knuckle, spindle and hub. Note the extra shoulder on the spindle

KIMG1742.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welp, one of my spindles is junk. Now I get to go through the process of either finding a used one, or swapping my hubs and spindles to the older version
KIMG1744.JPG

Back