Ford Police Explorer Cargo Mat

Trader0000

Police Explorer for sale....needs paint
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7L
I am looking for a rear cargo mat for the 2014 PIU and there are members on the forum that suggest various ones for the Explorer. I am concerned because we have a slick rear cargo area without carpet. I think the cargo mats have little nibs on the bottom to secure to the carpet. I am tried of stuff rolling around and sliding in the rear area while driving. What brand has anyone used for the PIU?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought a rubber truck bed mat and custom trimmed it to fit :)

I haven't bought one for my new vehicle but still have the ones for my previous 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum and neither has any "nibs" on the bottom. I'm currently using the Explorer one in my Aviator.

Peter

Honestly, it's such a large area and anything you put back there unsecured is likely to move pretty much regardless of whether the load floor is plastic/carpet/rubber. If the cargo is large enough or heavy enough to not move easily, floor material likely isn't going to matter.

An easy way to help secure cargo is to get some 1x6 or 1x8 and make a grid to segment the cargo area and help keep stuff from sliding all over. I made one for less than $20. If you notch the pieces, you can make it so you can assemble and disassemble without tools.

I haven't tried, but you may be able to mount some eye bolts in the cargo area and use bungee cords or a bungee net to help secure cargo also.

There are also loads of aftermarket metal cargo floors and various cabinets/trays from le upfitters if you want to spend a grand or three to set it up how you want.

Are the PIU and retail Explorer cargo areas similar?

Peter

Well, sorta. The "retail" one would be for 3rd row and aft, while the police one would be 2nd row and aft. That said, I don't see why the police one would not fit a retail one with 3rd row folded.

Well, sorta. The "retail" one would be for 3rd row and aft, while the police one would be 2nd row and aft. That said, I don't see why the police one would not fit a retail one with 3rd row folded.

I have the retial cargo mat, and I'd say, it doesn't fit.

The main reason is that the cargo cover is in a lower position compare to the folded 3rd row of a retail, creating a 2" step from the internal trims on both side. Which means, none of the retail cargo mat will works. I'm working on a Havis mod to install a hard floor for the cargo, which will fix the issue and probably tougher than my already broken OEM composite cargo cover.

Edit:

The best economic way is buy a rectangular cargo mat that fit the size of PIU's cargo, Since it is literally a rectangular shape.

The best economic way is buy a rectangular cargo mat that fit the size of PIU's cargo, Since it is literally a rectangular shape.
One can find reasonably priced commercial/residential rubber or carpet/rubber floor mats at home depot and such that will fit with a little trimming. Most are dark gray/black and even match the interior.

Slight resurrection.

Has anyone come across a solution besides the commercial floor mat? Or contacted weather tech for them to produce for the piu?

I find it curious they would put rubber floor mats for easy clean out of the passenger compartment, but leave the cargo area basically bare.

My worst fear is putting something wet in the winter and having salt run down into my spare tire well. Or something like that

My 2013 use a car mat like this one. I have a friend bought it for me from China long ago because I couldn't find anything matches 2013 and also affordable in the US at that time. The slightly lower spare well cover is not really an issue unless you want some perfect appearance. You can always slide in some foam to make it even.

I ended up replaced the spare well cover with a metal tray option because the cover isn't durable as I always put heavy equipment onto it. So now the mat fit perfectly.

Edited, found this one which looks exactly the same with mine.

Interesting! Would you be able to take some good pictures?

I looked at the Havis covers a while back, but its a heck of a price tag for pretty much a lateral move to factory, and still no resolution to the spill containment issue.

I'm thinking of making a cardboard template and cutting a horse stall mat to fit. At least I won't have a landslide of stuff not bolted down when I take even a mild corner and there's a measure of waterproofing except around the edges.

It's kinda like when Ford designers finally got around to the cargo area, they gave up and were like "Meh, whatever. Let's toss down some particle board and call it" 😂

Interesting! Would you be able to take some good pictures?

I looked at the Havis covers a while back, but its a heck of a price tag for pretty much a lateral move to factory, and still no resolution to the spill containment issue.

Yea, the Havis parts ain't cheap, and could be discontinue any time soon. I did the modification last year while replacing all the antenna bases on the roof. I had took couple photos but that was also the time I swapping to a new phone, so it might took me some time to figure out where the photos are. I will do upload when I found them.

Edited: Found them.

Ok so no joke, the one from Walmart is the fix for all the PIU cargo ills? Genius!

Ok so no joke, the one from Walmart is the fix for all the PIU cargo ills? Genius!

Except the unlevel cargo cover... that you will have to decide you just want to live with it or put some cardboards / foams under the mat. otherwise, the walmart one seems like a good fit (I didn't get mine from walmart, it just looks the same to mine one). You can check my pics above to see how it looks like in the trunk.

I am looking for a rear cargo mat for the 2014 PIU and there are members on the forum that suggest various ones for the Explorer. I am concerned because we have a slick rear cargo area without carpet. I think the cargo mats have little nibs on the bottom to secure to the carpet. I am tried of stuff rolling around and sliding in the rear area while driving. What brand has anyone used for the PIU?
i found one amazon that worked well. it still slid around a little. i used velcro on the bottom side to secure it.

I think WeatherTech makes one.

I think WeatherTech makes one.
In reading some of the posts, it appears that the cargo area of the PIU is a little different than the retail unit. Both WeatherTech and Husky make liners for the retail version. Only Husky has a selection for the PIU but they don't include the cargo area.

Peter

In reading some of the posts, it appears that the cargo area of the PIU is a little different than the retail unit. Both WeatherTech and Husky make liners for the retail version. Only Husky has a selection for the PIU but they don't include the cargo area.

Peter
Peter is correct. WeatherTech does not make one. I had a chat with one of their customer service people yesterday and mentioned that they are missing out on a great government contract level opportunity. Not only that, but PIUs have a life after agency use. Obviously one person won't make a difference, maybe we can have a petition for every PIU owner to call Weather Tech. 😏

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
Bummer! We just bought the Husky for ours.

Back