How to use the paddle shifters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to use the paddle shifters?

DraftEdison

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
Got your attention didn't I? :)
I know how to drive a stick but these paddle shifters are confusing me! I have many questions. Why is there not something on the dash that shows me what gear I am in? I am afraid I am going to upshift and have it dog out on me or go so far as to drop the tranny to the pavement. Do I maintain my speed when using them or should I be off the gas? Does it matter? Are there certain situations that you find yourself using them all of the time? I live in a snowy climate. Do you use them with snow on the ground? I have also noticed that the EX seems to shift differently when in D versus S mode. Anyone else experience this? Please help! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When using the paddle shifters the gear you are in is shown, I believe, in the left hand information display. Have you read about using the paddle shifters in the Manual?
I had them on my MKT and now on the Platinum but have never seen any need to use them.

Peter

I have read the manual and watched the videos on fordowners.com. Does the gear display only at the moment you shift gears? I don't see it otherwise. I looked again today and went through the entire display options but didn't see anything different. I don't for see me using them much either but I would like to know the correct way so I don't break something. :)

It only displays when shifting. Play around with it in D- it will time out(and switch to auto) and wont over-rev in D. Once you are more comfortable with using it, stay in S to make it hold the gears and not time out. I use it for downshifting when driving down steep roads that I don't want to brake on.

D - Normal drive mode. Optimized for fuel efficiency. Paddle shifters timeout after a few seconds.
S - Sport drive mode. Shifts optimized for power. Paddle shifters stay in gear and do not timeout.

Living here in WV, I like them. It gives me the ability to hold a certain gear when going up or down our "mountains". I use them in both D and S. S works much better going up and down the steep hills in WV and the paddle shifters allow me to hold the gear I choose.

Even when in S mode the transmission will still automatically shift for you right around 6500 rpm if you don't shift in time with the paddles. So no worries about your pistons shooting out through your hood ;)
Don't let off on the throttle when shifting either. Takes a little practice if you're used to driving a standard because you've been wired to let off the gas when you shift. If you know how to power shift with a standard (not using clutch), the paddles can be thought of a a similar process.

I was playing around with my shift paddles tonight. Don't worry, the computer will not let you do anything stupid, just have fun!

Having a '15 XLT, they too, have a version of 'paddle shifters' [on the shifter] that work the same way in 'M' mode. I find it interesting that on the newer models, you can use the paddle shift in D mode as well although in a somewhat, limited capacity. I have never considered trying my 'paddle shifter' in D. Actually, I rarely use the rocker switch on the side of the shifter anyway but, it's nice to know it's available as I would use it for those mountainous excursions when needed. Other than that, my post has been utterly useless to the OP. :D

Have the paddle shifter in both the 2011 Fusion and the '17 Explorer. The Fusion has the 'M' mode while the Explorer has 'S' mode. I like the Explorer's mode much better. I do, however, like having the paddle shifter on the gear shift (in the car) versus on the steering wheel (Explorer.)

But to answer your question, as others have already stated, it's designed to shift for you if you don't shift. So don't worry about wrecking your transmission. :)

On my 2011 Sport, I only use them when I feel that the trans stays in lower gear too long on mild acceleration and when I need a quick down shift when approaching a tight turn. I also use them to go into a lower gear on a steep residential downhill to save from constant braking and heating up the pads. Otherwise, I do no not touch the paddles.

So is there a certain speed you need to maintain to use the shift.
Also if I'm doing 50 and have a steep grade coming up I can throw it into S mode and down shift? And when I'm done I can throw it back into D mode. I live in PA and a lot of times I just brake downhill because I don't know how the shifters work and dont want to destroy my engine.

Page 180 of the Manual covers the use of the paddle shifters. It is not as detailed as previous Manuals though. I don't use them but did try a downshift once when reducing speed from 40 on a slight downhill. It did provide some 'engine braking' but I don't have any experience on a long downhill run.

Peter

If I want to downshift I just use the paddle to drop a gear, no need to move the selector to S.

I have also found that if you are using cruse control and hit a downhill the transmission will downshift on it's own to keep you at your set speed.

I've found that the best use seems to be pre-staging for a pass, i.e. drop down to 3rd gear a second before I'm ready to smash the accelerator so that power is instant rather than waiting for the downshift. Sometimes it's fun to put it in S-mode and take manual control, but I think best performance is probably through letting the transmission shift itself in S-mode. In Drive, after a manual shift the transmission reverts back to automatic way too quickly...I wish there was an adjustment through Forscan to change this behavior...so for me the paddle shifters are of very limited use in Drive.

I guess I'm still one of the 'old fashion' drivers. When I want to do a quick pass or merge, I just press the accelerator down to kick it into "passing gear".:D

Peter

Back