No Crank / No Start / Bad Day

Michael Morrow

Reaction score
City, State
Aubrey, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 3.5L
Members,

First let me say thank you as I've browsed this forum many times over the years for help and assistance.

The Problem:
I have a 2012 Explorer XLT 3.5L. Starting yesterday morning I experienced a no crank start when trying to head out. I have full power in the cabin and experience nothing when moving to the run position.

Troubleshooting:
I have verified that the battery is fully charged and connections solid. I do not have any corrosion on the posts. I've also performed a voltage drop test with the starter and everything checks out. Headed back to the fuse box and flip-flopped the starter and blower relays, still nothing. I went ahead and pulled the starter for a bench test and its functioning as well.

With everything back in its place, I'm still experiencing the same exact issue. I'm just asking for your guidance on what rabbit-hole to jump down next.

Thank you all in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
There are a few threads on cranking but not starting. When you turn the key do you hear anything at all? Clicking? Have you tried getting a boost? One member had his battery tested at Auto Zone and it tested OK. They went to the dealer and they found a short in the battery. Will your headlights come on full high beam?

Peter

What Peter said, plus, are you able to measure voltage at starter when trying to crank? See if you are getting power to the starter and work back from there.

Is the starter solenoid separate from the starter on these Ex's?

Its recognizing the key? (No security light)

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
There are a few threads on cranking but not starting. When you turn the key do you hear anything at all? Clicking? Have you tried getting a boost? One member had his battery tested at Auto Zone and it tested OK. They went to the dealer and they found a short in the battery. Will your headlights come on full high beam?

Peter

Peter - I can get full high beam, with all lights/radio etc on. Boost was initial try as battery was coming up about 80% charged. If I have another try to crank, and if close enough i can hear small clicks from main fuse panel.

What Peter said, plus, are you able to measure voltage at starter when trying to crank? See if you are getting power to the starter and work back from there.

Is the starter solenoid separate from the starter on these Ex's?

Odrap - Solenoid is on starter. I will measure voltage during crankin here in just a bit. I do know the B+ is getting the right juice. Just need an additional hand to measure the S voltage.

Its recognizing the key? (No security light)

Boomin - No security light issues, as I saw this concern with a few other threads. I double checked the spare key as wel .

..............If I have another try to crank, and if close enough i can hear small clicks from main fuse panel.

I'm not sure which fuse panel you are referring to as the "main". There is the engine bay and one in the cabin. If you hear "clicking" from one of them then it must be a relay.

Peter

Try starting in neutral or move the gearshift in and out of gear, then back to park. Might be the neutral safety switch on the shifter.

A couple of years ago I parked my Explorer in the garage and went on a 4 week vacation. When I got home I went to move it and had the no start problem. I figured a week battery so I threw the charger on it overnight.

The next day I still had a no start. I was getting ready to dig deeper when I saw on the dash display that I needed to shift to park to start.

The moral of my story is to look at the simple things first before going crazy.

Just a note in my defence, this is my first vehicle with a automatic transmission in over 50 years of driving and my first what you would call a "smart vehicle"

Back