Does anyone have the following part? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have the following part?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I need a good used replacement driver's retractable seat belt for the following:

A 2000 Mountaineer (or 4-dr Explorer). Other years may be the same (maybe 2001) but I know there were some differences in the latch tang width and design in some Gen II years. I would prefer a tan belt.

The driver's seat belt retractor in our now semi-retired 2000 Mountaineer is screwed up. It still works (at least it can be pulled out and buckled) but it's difficult to pull out and must be helped back into it's retractor. It's a nauseous to use and is likely unsafe. There's a company that can legally repair/rebuilt it but It's rather expensive and I don't want to put much money into this 268,000+ mile old beast. Please PM me if you have one of these belts you are willing to part with.

Tks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too bad I don't live closer to my usual junkyards... $6 each...

Just for gas, a low guesstimate would be $27 for 186 miles. Kinda blows that budget. Add on a steak lunch, and yeah :D

I've got a U Pull about 15 mins from the house. Would be no problem running down there to check availability...but unfortunately, winter showed up again today with more snow and forecasted windchills in the sub-zero range for the next three days. Milder by the weekend, however. If nobody can help by then, let me know.

I've got a U Pull about 15 mins from the house. Would be no problem running down there to check availability...but unfortunately, winter showed up again today with more snow and forecasted windchills in the sub-zero range for the next three days. Milder by the weekend, however. If nobody can help by then, let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I'm in no huge rush for the seat belt. The Mountaineer is really not being used right now. I just like to keep my vehicles ready for service and the seat belt is the only important thing the old truck needs at the moment. I try to drive it at least once a week to keep fluids moving around and the battery charged. Let's see if maybe someone already has a seat belt in their stash (@CDW6212R ?). Unfortunately the nearest pull-a-part to me is over 100 mile round trip in Atlanta traffic and with my current schedule I wont have a whole free day to go down there for months.

tan eh? 99 eh?
Ill get a pic of what I have later today or tomm
I have a 99 limited outside and a 99 sport both with tan interior............I am headed to airport today but will snap a pic for you ASAP
I would be happy to ship

tan eh? 99 eh?
Ill get a pic of what I have later today or tomm
I have a 99 limited outside and a 99 sport both with tan interior............I am headed to airport today but will snap a pic for you ASAP
I would be happy to ship

I wondered if a Sport seat belt would be same. I thought it might be. As I said, the critical thing is that the latch tang be the same as the the 2000 model. I know the 2001 is the same and perhaps a '99 is also the same. I guess in a pinch I could also change the receiver, but I'd rather not have to mess with that end if I don't have to. Let me know when you get back, no big rush. I really appreciate it.

It's funny, this truck has been super reliable since I bought it back in 2012 w/179K on it (now has over 268K). Now since It was retired 2 months ago all kinds of minor stuff seems to be breaking. The driver's seat belt retractor, several instrument cluster illumination bulbs lights out, the oil pressure switch is flaky and has banged the gauge's needle so hard its knocked the little peg off of face of the cluster. The other day I went to put the sun visor down and the plastic clip it locks into broke off at its screw and then the larger visor was just flapping around and the smaller visor fell off. I recently recovered the driver's seat bottom, but now it has several broken springs.

Perhaps I should sell it, but I just did a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil change, put 4 new tires on it, replaced the lower ball joints and got an alignment. You may recall my daughter got rear-ended in it a few months ago. We got $1,900 from Progressive for the damages and I fixed it for cost of a used tail light off eBay, so it doesn't owe us much. I doubt I could sell it for $1,900. As I recall I only paid around $2100 for it back in 2012.

When you drive old vehicles it's nice to keep a spare around though, just in case one of the other ones breaks down. Maybe once I get my Sport Trac back on the road I'll sell the Mountaineer. IDK.

let me see your 01 latch and Ill compare
Ill get pics of what we have here today

We have also used a grinder to modify latches so they lock into receivers

let me see your 01 latch and Ill compare
Ill get pics of what we have here today

We have also used a grinder to modify latches so they lock into receivers

Okay. I'll get a picture. As I recall the older tanks are too narrow so a grinder won't help.

Here's a pic of what I have. Actually I think this must be the thinner tang, but it's the same as on my 2001.
Uj3WJw2.jpg

allright Ill go look see

I wish I could help too, but mine also have seen better days. My new 98 truck has the tan interior, but the left belt retractor usually doesn't pull the belt when I get out. The right one in my other 98 truck is almost that bad, but it's grey. So those two are on my list too, this reminds me.

I have gray belts in my donor Ex. 2000 Limited

Is it difficult to remove the driver seatbelt?

I have gray belts in my donor Ex. 2000 Limited
Appreciate you looking. I'm waiting to hear back from @410Fortune. He may have tan belts with the correct tangs, but if worst comes to worst I'm not totally opposed to a different color.

IDK. I've never tried. How difficult could it be? Compared to pulling the engine out of my Sport Trac anything sounds easy. Once the plastic trim is off I assume it's just a bolt or two.

I wish I could help too, but mine also have seen better days. My new 98 truck has the tan interior, but the left belt retractor usually doesn't pull the belt when I get out. The right one in my other 98 truck is almost that bad, but it's grey. So those two are on my list too, this reminds me.

That's okay. Thanks for responding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They aren't hard, if the T50 bolt comes loose. All of the seat belts, and door/hatch strikers, are held down by T50 bolts. Some at this age will have seized to the body thread insert, those can be hell to remove.

So find a very good T50 Torx bit(mine is a Snap-On I got because some brands don't fit as well), and with a long ratchet, slowly break it loose. PB Blaster may help, basically those bolts that protrude under the body are most likely to be the hardest. On those you could get under the truck to spray the threads and insert. I'd do that on the center most floor T50 bolts, but I've tried them first most of the time.

The white 98 I just got I removed the rear seat and belts, those let go without much trouble. But the same bolts in my 93 truck didn't play nice. The right one wouldn't come out, that was in 2006, it stripped the center Torx hole out, and I had to drill that one out.

Projectthread093.JPG

Back