Has anyone managed to actually fix the heated seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone managed to actually fix the heated seats?

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
The TEDs system on my explorer is terrible, the driver seat doesn’t even heat up and doesn’t sound like the fan is even running, spoke to a few people and did some research but haven’t actually found a fix? I know later models there was an exhaust piece but nothing for the 12s one guy mentioned about checking for cross polarity but not sure how that would happen

I live in Canada and would be nice to get it working, we’ve used a seat cover for the past year but it’s kind of a pain in the ass and slides around on the leather

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the passenger side work? The heating pads do go bad after a while but if no other functions work I'd be looking at the module.

Does the passenger side work? The heating pads do go bad after a while but if no other functions work I'd be looking at the module.

Passenger seat works but I don’t think they use seated pads on the ventilated seats it’s the TEDS system (I wish it was seating pads had an edge before and the seats in that were incredible)

The front seats don’t get very hot on my 2014 either.

I read somewhere that there is a filter inside that module which may need to be cleaned; that might help provide additional airflow (and heat)? I haven’t taken mine apart yet but maybe someone else has and will chime in.

I had mine fixed a couple months ago and it made a difference! I can actually feel my back heat and cool now. The dealer was reluctant to replace the back seat part of the system because it’s known to not work, well mine did. Pretty noticeable difference.

Having said that, they also had to fix my main air duct as it was misaligned with the seat from when they fixed my seat clips. So it was probably a combo of both things but if you’re not getting any air flow, I would look into that main air duct that if it’s not fed perfectly into the seat cushion, air won’t flow up into the seat.

clean/replace the intake filter under the seat? (towards the back) It helped mine work better.

Has anyone replaced the TED on their seat?

My 17 Sport is out of warranty, the driver seat back no longer heats but the bottom pad still gets warm. Need to do a PIN test to confirm TED is bad but if the back pad works is that a separate TED for back pad only?

Anyone has workshop manual instructions for back pad PIN test

Has anyone replaced the TED on their seat?

My 17 Sport is out of warranty, the driver seat back no longer heats but the bottom pad still gets warm. Need to do a PIN test to confirm TED is bad but if the back pad works is that a separate TED for back pad only?

Anyone has workshop manual instructions for back pad PIN test

My understanding was the TED system was 1 system, if you didn't have the TED system, it was a 2 independent pads.

My understanding was the TED system was 1 system, if you didn't have the TED system, it was a 2 independent pads.

I opened up the seat and looked at the back pad, its got the blower motor in the center of the back pad. Just dont know how to PIN test it

I opened up the seat and looked at the back pad, its got the blower motor in the center of the back pad. Just dont know how to PIN test it

Are you saying there is a blower motor for the butt and a motor for the back?

Are you saying there is a blower motor for the butt and a motor for the back?

Yes I will try and take a pic this week when I rip the seat back open again, its a PIA to do so I only what to do it once and do the PIN test at the same time once I get directions how to do it.

Wow, they have a fan. I figured they were just pads.

Check this SSM if it is related to your issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10156883-9999.pdf

SSM 47814
Some 2016-2019 Explorer, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019 Edge/Nautilus, 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ, and 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang/Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with climate controlled seats may exhibit a buzzing noise from the front seats, front seats too warm, and/or inoperative climate controlled front seats. DTCs B14BA:13, B1154:4B, and/or B14B9:13 may also be present. This may be due to loose terminal pin fit on the driver seat module (DSM) connector C341D (16 pin). If a loose terminal pin fit condition is found during normal diagnostics per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10, a new service pigtail connector (part number 3U2Z-14S411-BRAB) is available. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 119 to make sure C341D is a 16 pin connector and not a 20 pin connector. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 5 for the recommended splicing procedures.

The heat on my '13 driver's seat is horrible. Some days it actually seems to get hot, but usually I can't really tell the difference. I haven't sat in the passenger seat but everyone who does tells me the seat heaters works fine.

Ok so I took the drivers seat up, checked all the connectors and wires and also did pin test on the connectors but no faults found. I got the back of the seat 1/2 open to expose the TED but doing a re/re on that part seems like a big job. The seat would have to be out and the leather covering completely removed. Here are a couple pics to show the TED blower no heated electrical pad.

upload_2019-12-17_5-23-15.png

Ex Seat2.jpg

I know it's an old thread, but I just started having the same issue with my wife's 14 Explorer Sport. Sgt1411....what did you end up doing to fix your issue? I am thinking its one of my TEDs has gone bad, but I hate to replace them at $125 a pop without being a little more certain...

I know it's an old thread, but I just started having the same issue with my wife's 14 Explorer Sport. Sgt1411....what did you end up doing to fix your issue? I am thinking its one of my TEDs has gone bad, but I hate to replace them at $125 a pop without being a little more certain...
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have a part number for the TEDs?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have a part number for the TEDs?

Peter
Hi Peter. Thank you! So I have not torn into the car yet to expose the TEDs, but I have shopped around online at different Ford OEM parts places and if I were to order replacement TEDs for the car the cushion one would be part#: 8A5Z-19N550-C and the seat back part#: AA5Z-19N550-A. If it would be more helpful to have the part numbers of the existing TEDs in the car, I can certainly try to jam my phone under the seat and snap some photos in attempts to get the part number...

Back