Clicking sound at front wheel at hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking sound at front wheel at hub

Oscar T

Reaction score
City, State
Happy Camp California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Hello to all I am a new member with a 1991 Mazda Navajo that is really a Ford Explorer. I have problems with the 4 wheel drive (surprise surprise) . I thought the front right hub was broken so got another one used on ebay but front wheels are still not pulling. Put it up on jack stands and put it in 4 wheel drive and the u joints at the wheel is turning but the wheel is not. These are the stock auto hubs . kind of a clicking sound at the hub took the wheel and hub off and I don't understand how this thing works. Wondering if I need another hub or the problem is before the hub? If it is the hub, I will go to the manual hubs next time Any Ideas ?

Welcome Oscar!
If you have verified that the axles are turning when in 4wd, then it can only be the hubs.
The auto hubs don’t last forever, yours are close to 30 years old and most hubs of that age died long ago.
The smart move is to switch to manual hubs, it’s pretty easy to do.
Here’s a good info thread on hubs Solved - Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X
And here’s a good info thread on diagnosing 4wd issues, just so you can be completely sure on the hubs List of Useful Threads - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

My auto hubs were junk, switched to manual Warn hubs and have been really happy with them. This truck is a beast in 4wd now lol

Back