Junkyard Score! EX Superlift Kit! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junkyard Score! EX Superlift Kit!

oh man you will love the extreme country tires.... They are the best dang overall tire I have ever run, they are wearing like iron on my wifes FJ when compared to other MT tires

I liked them so much on my BII we are running them on the FJ cruiser and now the Excursion.......when the duratracs are worn out Im going back to a Mickey T or Dick Cepek tire, best bang for the buck IMO
Smart choice!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm torn between the 33 10.5 or the 33 12.5 since I have never been around a lifted EX before. The 12.5 was the only choice for my 79 Bronco but this EX is a ton lighter and even being heavy the old Bronco would pull hard when you hit puddles.

Not knowing if the 12.5 will rub at all is my main reason for wanting the 10.5 but other people are saying to go wide....IDK

10.5 on 7-8" wide wheels
12.5 on 8-10" wide wheels
33x12.5 is the most common when you get into a 33" tall tire or larger. Most rigs you see are running 33x12.5 not 10.5. The wheel backspacing will help accommodate the width

But it goes like this:
12.5 will give you the most flotation and largest contact patch (traction)
10.5 is a good option for stock wheels (7" wide) and skinny tires do great in the snow, a little lighter on the steering wheel

I see, so the extra inch of wheel width from the 15x8 3.75 backspace is split front and back.

Ordered the 12.5s tonight.

Thanks guys

One of the leaf packs had a broken center bolt so I tore that one apart first to clean up and paint. Well, I found some not so great news. The main leaf has a crack that is a few inches long coming from the center bolt hole.

Now I need to get two new main leaves. We have a few spring shops in my area and I hope they can make what ever I need. I have looked online at every spring I could think of and none are a perfect match to these.

The Superlift springs measure 26'' x 31'' that's center of bushing following the springs curve to center of the center bolt. And the arch is 9 1/4'' with a straight measurement between the center of bushings of 52 9/16''.

The closes spring I have found is a 56'' chevy square body spring it is 26 x 30 with a 7 1/4'' arch.

Close ones I looked at.

97-03 F 150 26 3/8'' x 32 1/8'' 8 9/16'' arch
73=91 c20 26'' x 30'' 6 1/4 arch
86-03 Ranger 25 3/4'' x 31'' 6'' arch
99-06 Silverado 32'' x 32'' 6'' 7/8 arch (requires moving the front mount forward)

The longer measurement is the back half of the spring and I think I could use 1'' less since my shackles really seem close to my hitch and are laid back. So the 54'' chevy spring rearched from 7 1/4'' arch to the Superlifts 9 1/4'' arch seems like the way to go if I cant get some made.

Link to 54'' Chevy main leaf.
1973-1987 GM Truck Main Leaf Spring | General Spring

The other thing about the Superlift springs is that they seem to have proprietary bushings in the eyes. How would I replace them easily especially since they are in there SOILD and might get destroyed trying to remove them to get measurements. With a common main leaf it would be simple to get bushings.

It's always something...….

Dang that stinks
At least you found it now before the main leaf comes apart and takes out a new tire!!
I like Skyjacker leafs, Deaver also makes some nice springs for your truck
Consider buying a set of new leafs for the rear? Get away from the Superlift parts when you can, they ride STIFF and quality is good but not as good as some others.......

EDIT: I'm wondering if your stock main leaf could not be used? You can have it re arched to match the superlift? Press in new bushings and rebuild both spring packs using your stock main leafs

Neither place you mentioned makes Explorer springs of course but they do make Ranger springs. I have heard that Ranger springs are the same as EX but are 1 1/2'' lower or less arch.

These do have the same arch as the EX Superlift springs.
FR34S – Softride Leaf Spring | Skyjacker Suspensions

I guess I would need Ranger 4'' springs then maybe do an AAL if needed or go to a 6'' spring and remove maybe a shorter one from the pack.

These Superlift springs do seem very stiff just handling them compared to stock EX springs. And they are very rusted and pitted, I bet more will break as soon as I start flexing them.

agreed you may not want to install fatigued aftermarket leafs
Deaver will make a explorer pack for you

Alcan springs in CO will make a set for you tailored to your wants. They have a question form you can fill out for a price quote, or talk to them on the phone. From what I hear, they are half the cost of Deavers.

James Duff has two sets of lift springs that will work as well. Your Explorer is heavier than the Ranger is. A Ranger 6" pack will be a 4" pack on the 4 door Ex. A 5" Ranger lift pack will be 3" to 3.5" lift.

Thanks gmanpaint, I filled out Alcans form so we will see what they say.

EDIT.... I got my quote and they aren't much cheaper then Deavers at all.

In my research I found this old thread from 09 I believe and this was one post.

i put a 6 inch skyjacker ranger spring in the rear of my first gen ex. I had to disassemble the pack and flip the locator pin. i also had a pinion shim made to correct the angle. ( 3 degree i think, yours may vary) it would have been 4.5 inches higher but i made and installed shackles (1.5" lift) at the same time. It still spring under, 6" higher, and hasnt sagged in the 3 years since i did the swap.

Very helpful info!

The new wheels came today, no idea on the tires. They are still in processing.

I'm leaning hard toward the 6'' Ranger Skyjacker springs. If they give me 4.5'' like in the post above I could easily level the front up with a tiny TT.

Yeah, it was close to $600 then after 3-4 weeks when they are done you need to pay shipping. Shipping from Colorado to Pennsylvania would be killer.

I'm leaning towards the 6'' skyjackers like I posted or just do some F 150 franken leaves.

smart choice
Skyjacker makes some nice stuff........... or making your own hybrid usually works out pretty well on these rigs too
My 6" skyjacker rear leafs are about 15+ years old, they have been beat and flexed like mad, hauled waaaay too heavy of a trailer a time or two, and they are still just fine. They are not as tall as they once were, but they are still in primo condition. same can be said for the rest of the skyjacker stuff too....their stuff is pretty tough.

The meats came today!

I don't see how these things can't be awesome!

The Pro Comp 51 steelies came 2 days ago and I scuffed them with scotchbright so I could spray them charcoal grey. Black wheels really isn't my thing and back in the early to mid 90s I had charcoal grey wagon wheels on a F150 so I'm reliving my youth with these...lol

Those look awesome. Can't wait to see it on your rig. What size tires did you get?

They do look awesome, Thanks to 410 for the recommendation!

I was torn between the 10.5 and the 12.5 but after asking around I went with the 33 12.5 x 15.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that will be the one I get when I go 33's. Those look awesome and look like they will be great in the rocks

Back