Headlight and fog light condensation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight and fog light condensation

Kishanrp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT
So wanted to get some input on anyone else that has purchased a new 2020 Ford Explorer. We didn’t see this on the initial test drive and overview for some reason. Next day we noticed fog and condensation in both headlights and fog lights.

dealership said they have to make a claim with ford and wait for reply before any repairs. It’s a little upsetting on a new car to get this and it’s pretty bad. Should this be happening on a new car? Should they have known this beforehand?

not sure what to do right now aside from going through the warranty repair which they said will take a while to get reply from ford. As a new ford owner I’m a bit worried and hoping I didn’t get a bad Apple that will have issues down the line.

VvJuI80.jpg

MBJAxd2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have not had that happen on mine, but it is a common issue on all plastic housing/sealed type headlights. Happens on lots of makes/models. I would not lose sleep over it yet. Hope your dealer does their process and they will get replaced.

Welcome to the Forum Kishanrp.:wave:
Have you read page 89 of your Owner's Manual? I would say that what you have falls under the "unacceptable condensation" part.

Peter

Condensation is normal as they are vented, not sealed. However anything beyond condensation should be warranty (water droplets dripping down the inside lense).

It should take no more than 24 hours for a response from Ford. Pics need to be submitted by the dealership and they should approve/deny rather quickly.

I had a fog in one of my lights as well. But it went away. My wife is driving it now so I haven't checked recently. But I will.

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have owned a 2012 and a 2015 Explorer Limiteds and have loved them. We’re looking at adding a 2020 Platinum Level. Here’s my question: Is it normal to have condensation and fogging in one headlight after a test drive in the rain? The dealer said Ford says it’s “normal”. We’ve NEVER had this on any of our cars and F150. I told the dealer to replace it or get me another Explorer since we haven’t taken possession yet. They reluctantly have agreed to replace the assembly. Am I wrong on this one?
Thanks so much !
Rich

B922DFF6-B2B5-419D-81A6-EBB19FA59652.jpeg

This is found in the owners Manuel under lighting/general information. and a google search shows this to be in manuals far back as 20011

GENERAL INFORMATION
Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
  • The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
  • A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
  • A water puddle inside the lamp.
  • Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

And this may or may or may not pertain to these lights

"Many headlights have a "breathing" vent on the back side. It is one, or two, small openings to the light fixture that have a fibrous piece of material over it. It will not allow water and/or debris to normally move through it, but it does allow air to move through it, reducing and usually eliminating most of not all of the condensation that typically develops."

Often the pull stick over to these vents is left on when the light fixture is installed.
this may or may or may not pertain to these lights

This is found in the owners Manuel under lighting/general information.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
  • The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
  • A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
  • A water puddle inside the lamp.
  • Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

Thank you so much ! The dealer swapped in a new assembly. But, this makes me feel better if I see it again.

Thank you so much ! The dealer swapped in a new assembly. But, this makes me feel better if I see it again.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Thank you for taking out the Elite Explorer membership.

Peter

Anyone took there ST through a carwash and had water in the fog lights and moister in the headlights?

Back