The Black Hole | Page 152 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought an spare Oregon chain and bar fits the dewalt like stock

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

This unit is the 60v 16" bar. Has to use the 60v batteries, or the 120v switched to 60v use. Can't use the 20v only batteries in it. It explains why they said 3.0Ah use. The 6.0 batteries are actually 3.0 in 60v use. Doesn't explain the 2 different size batteries they sent me tho. Confused yet? I was/am! LOL

I haven't found a storage case made for it yet. Kind of bummed about that. I also want to find out if any 16" chain will work, or if I have to use a DeWalt chain. I need a spare to take on trips.

Check the reviews for a suggestion for a case. I think it was on Amazon that someone gave a link or a part number for a case that fits well. Find it, I'll need one too.

ahhhhhhhhh I seem to remember being schooled on this before
I do not own any flex volt batteries....yet

I do not trust that Chinese battery seller at all. No package, unknown manufacturer origin, shipped from China for $13? PASS!

When you buy them from a reputable supplier, you get the 3 year warranty for them. Right now is the time to get them, as they are buy one get one, free or half price.

On schedule with the project. Got 3 of 4 types of paint completed. 4th type is still on the way, and tracking shows delivery for tomorrow.

Weather has taken a nose dive here, and had to break out the K1 heater. Paint fumes & K1 fumes can cause migraines, which can cause lack of sleep, which can cause unshakeable nightmares, once you fall into a deep coma, as a result from deprivation. I dreamed of playing whack a mole, with huge spiders, and a heavy shovel with a flimsy rubber handle.

I do not trust that Chinese battery seller at all. No package, unknown manufacturer origin, shipped from China for $13? PASS!

When you buy them from a reputable supplier, you get the 3 year warranty for them. Right now is the time to get them, as they are buy one get one, free or half price.

On schedule with the project. Got 3 of 4 types of paint completed. 4th type is still on the way, and tracking shows delivery for tomorrow.

Weather has taken a nose dive here, and had to break out the K1 heater. Paint fumes & K1 fumes can cause migraines, which can cause lack of sleep, which can cause unshakeable nightmares, once you fall into a deep coma, as a result from deprivation. I dreamed of playing whack a mole, with huge spiders, and a heavy shovel with a flimsy rubber handle.

Funny, true,and why I posted the link.

The spider dream though, I think that was a movie you've seen, it had Kari Wuhrer in it, which is why I saw it too.

You playing Whack a Mole with a huge spider does not sound like fun. Can't wait to see the project you are doing.

The spider dream though, I think that was a movie you've seen, it had Kari Wuhrer in it, which is why I saw it too.[/QUOTE]

Would that movie be "Eight Legged Freaks"? I googled her LOL

Never seen eight legged freaks. It was like a Tim Burton scene, almost cartoon-ish with the shovel flexing, as I lifted and swung it. Spider multiplied when hit, and impending doom was inevitable. Wait..... sorry had to pinch myself. Just checking.

The last paint material showed at 9pm last night. I got to spend my entire Friday evening sniffing potent fumes. Hey, guess I know how to party.

Should be cured enough to start wiring this weekend. Can't be exposed to moisture for 3 full days, so might be next weekend before I can get it installed. That and I need help. Lol

Worked until 9pm Saturday and today on this thing. Got it wired up, and ready for install.

A month of all my spare time and weekends invested. Hope this thing was worth the trouble.

At least I can get it out, and claim my shop back now. So much too do, and no time to do it all. Life is about to get crazy for me.

Junction box ready for power from the rig.

20191215_184519.jpg

ahhhh the end of a major project and free up space in the shop = win win!!
fingers crossed

Well, I tried to recruit help this weekend, to get this thing installed, but no dice. Bad timing with the holiday's I guess.

I would call a labor ready place for paid help, if I could trust they don't send some crack heads over, looking to rob me, or not able to comprehend the task, once here. Sad to say or think like that, but people around here are sketchy AF.

I hate when I paint myself into a corner. lol

Ill be right over...........
Christmas is for wrenching!!!

Question for those in the know. Should I or shouldn't I?

My leaf packs have lost 2" of lift. They are 3 years old, and only a couple of trips on them, as this rig has been down most of that time.

I have been looking around for another set of leafs from other places, and have got some pricing quotes. Looking at over $600 to get them to me from a couple companies, and even higher from others.

I called the company that made these current packs this morning. I told them they lost lift, and it is more than likely my fault, as I load an extra 1k of weight to the rig on trips, and even empty, the rig is hundreds over stock weight.

They said they can heat temper these packs back to the lift, and add another lower leaf as long as possible for the extra weight. This leaf will replace the lower shorty above the overload leaf. They can cold forge them for cheaper, but that's not as strong as a heat temper they said. They want $250 for this.

They are close to me, and I can drop off/pickup by hand. They will only take 2 days to complete the job.

I'm thinking of giving this a try, and seeing how it works out. I haven't had any luck with a re-arch in the past, as they always gave way after a season or two. But now I think about it, they was cold forged, not heat tempered. This is a roll of the dice, but if it works, the cost savings are huge. These packs still look as good as the day they was installed. Clean, rust free, perfect bushings, etc..

Since I can't get the latest project installed this week, I think I am taking advantage of the 20* above temps this week, and doing this. Yeah/No?

DO IT I would jump at the opportunity for that price!!
then consider air bags to handle heavy loads/trailers.......they can just be airbags between leaf and frame, most of the time they sit empty but when you need to carry a load just put some air in them at the air pump
I am planning similar with my 97 F350

I would love a set of rear bags! I researched a bit, but didn't get anywhere.

I looked at the only company that makes airbags for the Explorer. I even called them and asked about how to mount them. All I got was they do not make any brackets or bags, for my lifted application, nor would they offer any help on the matter. LOL

I have seen high end fab shops use special bags for lifted rigs, and can handle up to 14" of travel. They had to make custom brackets for them. I have never dealt with anything like this, and have absolutely no idea which bags to use, and no idea how to make the brackets since I do not even know how they are setup.

I think I am going to start on the leaf removal tomorrow. With all I have going on currently, this work was not planned, and it just might put me over the edge, taking on more than I can chew. Lol!

Didn't even know Firestone made bags!

Hmm... Being I'm spring under frame, I would have to make an upper bracket for them to fit under the frame rail, and enough clearance for the shrader valve./ line. Would have to box the frame rail there for support I imagine.

I wonder how much articulation loss those would cause? Being IFS, I use all the rear articulation I can get with this rig, and allow the tires to rub the inner walls, as is. lol

Back