Using first gen (91) rear glass and hinges on 2nd gen (96) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using first gen (91) rear glass and hinges on 2nd gen (96)

GrayGhost96

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt v6
Hello everyone, My rear glass hinges gave up for the 3rd time and i have used up the local part yards supply of 2nd gen first revision rear tale gates (square not bubble) with manual glass /door handle. So i noticed the rear glass was riding high again and sure enough the pot-metal hinge disintegrated on the passengers side. Called out to yards over 45min from the house and came up with one ready to sell me the whole back window with hinges for less than the other equally far away but in the opposite direction yard who was prepaired to sell me just the hinges. So in a last ditch effort i raced to the yard with the best price and reaching the counter with 5 minutes to spare, bought their last explorer rear glass in stock, in my haste i didn't check the hinges. Doh!

Long story short: i ended up with a 91 complete rear glass with hinges. This design looks like it will bolt up but i want to make sure before i tear everything down in the 17* winter wonderland im living in.

Second: was the change in hinge from 91 to 96 significant , what style lasts longer. Would it be a downgrade to install an older design vs the new?

Bottom line : 91 hinge was a 50/50 style, 96 used a 3 part 2 stationary with a moving center.
Should I attempt to return the glass or just keep it for a back up hinge set.

I ended up using a saved passenger side hinge from a previous hinge swap so im not going to loose the glass just yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK about the compatibility of hinges from different years, but if it's just a matter of functionality rather than looks, you can just drill right through your old hinges at the stripped stud hole and use a nut and bolt to hold the hinge on. Paint the bolt head black if it bother's you. Use some thread locker on the bolt, or a nyloc nut, to keep it from loosening. Also, if you keep the hinges lubricated you'll put less strain on them.

I have a pair of used second gen hinges available. PM me if interested.

...but if it's just a matter of functionality rather than looks, you can just drill right through your old hinges at the stripped stud hole and use a nut and bolt to hold the hinge on. ....

I have never had a failure at the nut it has always been a complete disintegration of the hinge itself. unfortunately breaking at knuckle every time.

20191213_195552[1].jpg

I have never had a failure at the nut it has always been a complete disintegration of the hinge itself. unfortunately breaking at knuckle every time.

View attachment 176417

Yeah, there's no fixing that. I've had several 98-01 hinges break and they all broke because the mounting stud to the top of the hatch stripped out of the cast pot metal (or aluminum - whatever they're made of). I replaced one and drilled/bolted the other.

I just checked eBay and found an ad that showed a pair of used glass hinges that said they fit '91-'97. They look the same as your photo. Prices for used pairs seem to be around $25-$30.
Don't know how long you'd get out of them.
s-l1600.jpg

I have four of that style available...

Back