Sunroof interior cover

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
My '01 Sport Trac has the sunroof, or moon roof, if you prefer. I'm thinking my daughter opened the roof without sliding the inside cover back first. One of the clips that slides in the track is bent and out of the track. I need to take it out to re-glue the fabric as well as straighten that clip. Also, the salvage yard has an '01 Sport I might get the cover from. How does that cover/panel come out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you have to remove your entire head liner to work on the sunroof and sliding cover.

Removal of the headliner is not difficult, but it is tedious, and it will require the R&R of the upper side panels, oh-crap handles, overhead lights, overhead console, etc... I've done it without entirely removing the side panels, but, I don't recommend it.

It will also make you itchy as f**k. Here's some inspiration for you...
gbuFzCNh.jpg

97O3dfjh.jpg

EI4kGXih.jpg

Thanks Phil. I just got home from the salvage yard where I had figured out it's more involved than I care to tackle. I thought I'd like the sunroof, but I find the light coming from above to be a distraction, so I really don't use it. My daughter uses it when she drives the truck, but that's not often now. She doesn't always get it closed properly which is what led me to notice the cover wouldn't slide smoothly. I was messing with it at work one day when it was way too hot to be sitting in the truck without the a/c going, and got it jammed (shut, fortunately).

FWIW, your pics are not the inspiration I need!

Thanks Phil. I just got home from the salvage yard where I had figured out it's more involved than I care to tackle. I thought I'd like the sunroof, but I find the light coming from above to be a distraction, so I really don't use it. My daughter uses it when she drives the truck, but that's not often now. She doesn't always get it closed properly which is what led me to notice the cover wouldn't slide smoothly. I was messing with it at work one day when it was way too hot to be sitting in the truck without the a/c going, and got it jammed (shut, fortunately).

Over the years I've owned several used vehicles that had sunroofs. I have no interest in them at all. Like you I find them distracting and eventually a source of leaks and other problems, but I'd have to fix it or it would drive me nuts. I just spent about an hour swapping out the HVAC control panel on my ST because the lights didn't work. I just had to fix this even though I seldom if ever drive at night. Guess it's just my OCD... LOL.

Moonroofs are nice but a real PITA on a truck as old as ours, my 2000 has one, I could livewithout it, it's sealed with silicone sealant and the cover is screwed, my 2001 doesn't have one though and I don't mind that at all.

I need to replace or rebuild one of those for my 98 truck. Post up how it comes out if anyone knows, I'll need one from the JY I expect. Mine is very rough, and some metal piece covering the front/above it was off and sliding around above the cover. I got that out, but what is left rattles a lot, plus the fabric is torn off. My Mercury cover is almost perfect, though it leaks also. I think the headliner has to come out, then the leaks can be found. I think mine is at the drain(s), it better not be the rack holes.

Hahahahaha! Sorry.

PS: Who's Phil?

Sorry. koda2000 (Phil) had posted just before your post with the pics and I wasn't paying attention and thought the pics were his. I have a Sport Trac, not Explorer, so less to remove, but still ... I posted here thinking more people have dealt with this in Explorers than Sport Tracs and the process would be the same.

And yeah, the headliner has to come out.

Ah. I see.

And yeah, the headliner has to come out.

... ... ... Yup. Not sure if it would be easier (smaller headliner) or harder (no rear hatch to go out through) to de-headliner a SportTrac.

Removal of the headliner is not difficult, but it is tedious, and it will require the R&R of the upper side panels, oh-crap handles, overhead lights, overhead console, etc... I've done it without entirely removing the side panels, but, I don't recommend it.

It will also make you itchy as f**k. Here's some inspiration for you...
gbuFzCNh.jpg

97O3dfjh.jpg

EI4kGXih.jpg

Helpful photo. I’m planning on applying sound deadening material under the headliner in the near future. Should be interesting.

I just had to fix this even though I seldom if ever drive at night. Guess it's just my OCD... LOL.

@koda2000, maybe we all suffer from some level of OCD. I certainly pay the price for mine; and the older I get, the crazier I get. Some days I do crazy things all day long.

Have a nice day!

I may do this to fix my saggy cover on the moonroof.
It actually looks easier than expected.

Though not "easy".

Will I need to plan on installing any type of new clips to hold the headliner in?
Any type of specialty tool required?

You do not have to remove the headliner to repair/replace the material on the on the moonroof cover. There are four 8mm bolts, and then a plastic piece on the top rear held in with phillps head screws. The moonroof can then be removed and you can wiggle out the cover. There are four clips on the side of the moonroof cover, be careful not to break them and remove them, notice their position then remove the old material. I have cut out old headliner fabric from junk yard vehicles (large enough for the cover) of the same color and used spray on adhesive to recover the moonroof cover. While you are at it, you need to determine why the cover is saggy, often times the drain holes are plugged and water seeps in causing the saggy cover.

You do not have to remove the headliner to repair/replace the material on the on the moonroof cover. There are four 8mm bolts, and then a plastic piece on the top rear held in with phillps head screws. The moonroof can then be removed and you can wiggle out the cover. There are four clips on the side of the moonroof cover, be careful not to break them and remove them, notice their position then remove the old material. I have cut out old headliner fabric from junk yard vehicles (large enough for the cover) of the same color and used spray on adhesive to recover the moonroof cover. While you are at it, you need to determine why the cover is saggy, often times the drain holes are plugged and water seeps in causing the saggy cover.

Thanks.
I will look for those bolts. They are at the top rear of the sunroof?
I will need to remove the sunroof, then the cover correct?
So the sunroof needs to be open to access them? Or in the vent position?

pull the interior cover back so you can see the moon roof with the moon roof closed, you can see 4 bolts two on each side.

Back