what are some symptoms of a t/c going bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what are some symptoms of a t/c going bad?

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Do transfer cases exhibit any known symptoms if something is bad or worn inside the case.
To be specific. A BW4405
Chain noises? Rattles? I'm open to any experiences or information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grinding and loss of high range are mostly the symptoms you will have in a 4405.

When mine had trouble it made a whizzing noise when coasting around 40 mph. It was due to the fluid inside the TC drying out. When I opened it there was nothing but a gray crust all over, no fluid what so ever. Pretty easy to rebuild. Parts are not too expensive. Took me a couple hours to clean inside and replace parts.

I have an uneasy feeling about the transfer case I installed a few months ago.
There is a noise the developed and it seems to be speed related.

A sort of thump/clacking sound on deceleration/ braking. May be more noticeable on a downhill grade.
Slows as speed drops. No noticeable sound when on jack stands.
Checked fluid and added about 1/2 +/- qt to top off.

I am going to remove a plastic cover over the top of the gas tank that seems to be loose and see if that helps first.

I still have my old T/C and am going to check with my trans shop for a diagnosis/rebuild cost of my old T/C.

To be honest. I am contemplating rigging up the old transfer case in the garage like they did in this video.

I really don't need the 4 low gear and I think it would last for the rest of the vehicles intended use / life.

Mine started by making a clunking noise when coming to a stop, that progressed to a ratcheting or wheezing noise whenever I let off the gas. Ended up rebuilding it with the Omega front/rear case halves and a new range hub, updated fork, and electric shift motor. No problems after 4 years. Total cost was $450.

Back