Anyone Cross Shop Durango SRT vs ST? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Cross Shop Durango SRT vs ST?

ljn21

Reaction score
City, State
Tega Cay, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone cross shop the Durango SRT with the Ex ST? I am doing so and really stuck on a decision. Love love love the SRT power and V8 growl, it sounds fabulous in the cabin but the underlying design has been in place since 2014 I think, the interior looks dated to me especially after looking at the 2020 Explorer and Aviator, the dash and center stack are way more visually appealling in the ST as is the gas mileage potential. 13 city/19 hwy in the SRT is brutal but the price you pay for zoom zoom and vroom vroom lol

Anyone have any input or thoughts?

Also consisering the Expedition Platinum/Navigator but just not sure that the size is really needed. We need the third row occasionally, not all the time but they sure do drive smooth.

Sorry MODS, meant to post this in the Stock forum, not the modified forum. Can you please move?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We thought about the SRT, but the vehicle age, horrendous fuel mileage, and poor quality reputation of FCA products eliminated it from consideration. Given the teething issues Ford has had with the new Explorer the last point may be moot. Time will tell, but we are very happy with the ST so far.

I just like the looks of the Explorer ST so much more. It is the first vehicle that I've owned that I love the looks of and wouldn't change a thing. That said the Durango SRT looks OK. The engine may be more potent but I'll take the 3.0 Ecoboost anyday. I think the Durango SRT costs significantly more and the tech isn't as good. I believe both would handle and perform comparably.

Our 2 FCA vehicles were 100% issue free and performed quite well. I went with the st for something different and new.

Appreciate the perspectives everyone!

The Grand Cherokee is a little more classy than the Durango, but it doesn't have the third row. However, if you are willing to wait for the 2021 models to hit the market, the Grand Cherokee will have an available third row, also it and the Durango are being restyled. There are some concepts bouncing around, but we all know that the production vehicles don't always resemble the concepts. We have full intention, pending design and appearance, of getting the 2021 Trackhawk. The expressions of Explorer owners, among many others, is quite amusing when either the SRT or Trackhawk shows them their taillights.
Also, haven't had any issues with the FCA brand. All brands have their quality issues, so don't base your decision solely on that point. Look into the Maxcare if purchasing FCA.
In driving several 2020 Explorers, I'm not sold on their performance or features. They are a bit cumbersome and some ques appear as afterthoughts. They really should offer the V8 option again.

No need for V8 engine with the 3.0L Ecoboost putting out more HP than some V8 engines. Most comsumers today are more concerned about MPG than HP.

Peter

I'm a v8 lover too, but I tell you ford is doing a heck of a job with the low end torque on these eb motors.

No need for V8 engine with the 3.0L Ecoboost putting out more HP than some V8 engines. Most comsumers today are more concerned about MPG than HP.

Peter

You're correct, there's no need, other than saving a few lbs. Although, with the third gen Coyote engine, you start off with 460 hp at 18mpg. With a few mods, these get unreal hp and still retain the mpg. The feel of the V8, is just better, and the sound out of the rear has a better resonance.
There's no need, but it would be nice if the option was offered, even on special order.

You're correct, there's no need, other than saving a few lbs. Although, with the third gen Coyote engine, you start off with 460 hp at 18mpg. With a few mods, these get unreal hp and still retain the mpg. The feel of the V8, is just better, and the sound out of the rear has a better resonance.
There's no need, but it would be nice if the option was offered, even on special order.

I would have easily gone for the 5.0 coyote if given the option on the ST. The sound of that V8 is sooo sexy. Throw on an exhaust, supercharger etc... oh hell yes.

Oh well, still love the 3.0TT. I just don't believe any exhaust will sound good on this vehicle.

--------------

As far as the Durango, their v8 sounds really really good as well. I like the exterior of it but it is an old platform and I'm really not interested in Fiat.

I would have easily gone for the 5.0 coyote if given the option on the ST. The sound of that V8 is sooo sexy. Throw on an exhaust, supercharger etc... oh hell yes.

Oh well, still love the 3.0TT. I just don't believe any exhaust will sound good on this vehicle.

--------------

As far as the Durango, their v8 sounds really really good as well. I like the exterior of it but it is an old platform and I'm really not interested in Fiat.

What about a custom CAI so that that we can better hear those turbos spooling?

What about a custom CAI so that that we can better hear those turbos spooling?

Most likely won't help. Wondering if there is a Vent to Atmosphere mod like the Sport models where the BOV is more present.

I'd never buy another FCA vehicle, even at gunpoint. The engine failed on my wife's grand cheokee at 50k miles, they voided the warranty. A truck our company bought new needed the front pinion seal replaced within the warranty period. Autonation effed up in stellar fashion, the front driveshaft came apart, made it inside the cab. As usual FCA asks for all the maintenance records, which everything had been done ontime at the dealer, so no issue there. FCA said they felt they shouldn't have to pay for that.

I'd never buy another FCA vehicle, even at gunpoint. The engine failed on my wife's grand cheokee at 50k miles, they voided the warranty. A truck our company bought new needed the front pinion seal replaced within the warranty period. Autonation effed up in stellar fashion, the front driveshaft came apart, made it inside the cab. As usual FCA asks for all the maintenance records, which everything had been done ontime at the dealer, so no issue there. FCA said they felt they shouldn't have to pay for that.
I agree FCA looks to pork folks out of warranty at times. There is a class action lawsuit against them for warranty ethics involving owners with lifetime powertrain contracts.
They can be difficult, but we have had remarkable and lengthy service out of our last two vehicles which were both dodge.

I haven't crossed shopped the Durango SRT, I'm looking at the Audi SQ5.
The only Dodge I've owned was a 2012 RAM (yes it had a hemi); owned it 7 months, 7,000 miles and in the shop 7 times, last time it was in there for 7 weeks. All for the same reason, coil packs, in total I have 39 new coil packs installed and the dealer could never find a reason why so may burned out coil packs.

The only Dodge I've owned was a 2012 RAM (yes it had a hemi); owned it 7 months, 7,000 miles and in the shop 7 times, last time it was in there for 7 weeks. All for the same reason, coil packs, in total I have 39 new coil packs installed and the dealer could never find a reason why so may burned out coil packs.

I had 3 or 4 sets of coil packs replaced on my A4.. sooooo... lol.

I had 3 or 4 sets of coil packs replaced on my A4.. sooooo... lol.

Well your just full of ……….. good news on this Monday morning. Hopefully it did not take 7 weeks to get them due to back orders, yet I was the only one that had a problem with the coil packs.

The SQ5 is a great vehicle. Not really the same class as the Explorer ST though. My wife has the Q5 and stepping up to the SQ5 is something we are entertaining in a year or two. The Q5 has been a reliable car through 70k miles. Nothing but normal maintenance items--all of it easy DIY.

Well your just full of ……….. good news on this Monday morning. Hopefully it did not take 7 weeks to get them due to back orders, yet I was the only one that had a problem with the coil packs.

Definitely not 7 weeks. Dealer always had them in stock but twice was broken down on side of road because when they failed, they failed totally and would barely idle.

Probably the best handling vehicle I ever had and was a pure joy to drive. Their quattro system made it a tank in the winter too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been a Ford guy for over 50 years, so it bothers me to say this, but I'm not a big fan of the 2011 and later Explorers. I maintain a fleet of 115 Utility (Explorer) Interceptors, from 2013 up to and including 6, 2020 models. When they were first introduced in 2013, we all thought the idea was good, but doubted they would be a durable as the outgoing Crown Victoria Police Interceptors. We were correct, the unibody construction is a little weak in the front suspension (and it usually costs me a grand every time an officer does a pit manuver) the water pump and ptu problems are on going, time consuming and expensive. I receive recall notices from Ford it seems on a monthly basis. Of my 109 '13 -'19 units, 5 of these are the turbo version, and that is a whole different can of worms. Water pumps, ptu's, oil consumption and injector problems as well. I realize Ford has 80% of the law enforcement business, but I believe it is solely based on price (a comparably equipped Durango is about 4K more and a Tahoe is 9K more).
On the positive side, the Utility's are all wheel drive, big plus over a CVPI in my climate. The brakes are bigger and for the most part outlast the CV's. Performance wise, the 3.7 equipped versions will outrun a CV, it's close. Fuel economy, cop cars don't get any, regardless of what the vehicle is, but if you do an average, the CV has a slight edge.
Now that brings me to the 2020 version. We like it because it is slightly bigger, a big plus when you start installing shields, dog kennels and emergency equipment. The seats are slightly wider and a little more headroom and appearance wise, much better looking than the past. When the new platform was announced, I was excited to see the return to rear wheel drive and the engine no longer transversely mounted. So far, the big complaint is the 10 speed trans is for ever shifting and the engine (3.3 non turbo) is a dog unless you are in the throttle most of the time. In my opinion a 5.0 would easily fit, mileage would be comparable because it wouldn't work nearly as hard and it would last much longer than any of the new gen 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Back