• Register Today It's free!

Overheated... Now dead!

rye15417

Reaction score
City, State
Moore, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My CEL came on last night while driving because I was running hot. A few minutes later my engine died and my exploder is on the side of I-35. Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem, I 'm getting a tow this morning back to my house. The engine will not start, it turns over and makes some sputtering noises here and there but will not crank. I have not had any previous probelms for the past 5 years. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure you had a good reason for driving on while the car was running hot...

However, if there a CEL, there's very likely some error-code. I'm afraid this error-code (or the original reason for it) might not be responsible for that she doesn't start up anymore. I just hope, you didn't blow a head-gasket because you kept on driving after it overheated...

The 4.0 is quite infamous for fragile head gaskets. It's not "built tough", they're "Made in Gemany".

I recommend that you read out the error-code(s) first. This might at least give you a clue what the original problem was. Maybe it leads to further conclusions...

when mine did that it was the head gasket

A few months ago mine did the same thing (overheated, CEL). I stopped before it died but it was overheating. When i checked the antifreeze and restarted, it ran for about 30 seconds with lots of sputtering and white smoke. When "the smoke cleared" it was the head gasket. The previous post is correct. Explorers with the 4.0 motor have the crapiest head gaskets made. Cost about 1700.00 ( in Wichita )to have the top half rebuilt since the heads were cracked. If you end up on that painful road, get the best gasket money can buy. Its about 80 bucks different but you will never have to worry about it ever again. Good Luck and I truely hope that is not the case with yours.

The PCM will set a code for engine over-temperature situations. Hopefully disregarding the temp. guage hasn't caused a major problem. Start by checking the coolant level, if any... then check the condition of the oil to see if it's milky, possibly due to coolant... check the spark plug condition, they can certainly identify an engine failure.

If you can get it running, give it some rpms with the radiator cap off. If it blows water out of the radiator, you most likely have blown a head gasket.

Engine will not crank. Removed the engine oil fill cap and it smells like coolant inside and there was some on the under side of the cap. No visable engine damage. Is there another way to check the head gasket without the truck started? Thanks.

When you say 'engine will not crank', do you mean it won't turn over at all? Depending on how hot it got, the engine could be seized which is worse than a blown head gasket. If the engine is not turning over, and you are sure it's not battery or starter related, then I suggest you pull the plugs and do a compression check.

If you pull the plugs and can't turn it over it is toast.

You can get a 'valve hold' fitting. It is just an air adapter that screws into the plug hole. Pressurize the cylinders one at a time, and do both banks. If your coolant rises or bubbles while you're pumping air into it, the head or gasket is compromised. There are gasket failures that this would not detect, but not ones that cause overheating.

Some cylinders will have an intake or exhaust valve open. If you can hear air just flowing through the cylinder, bump the engine and try again. If you use a socket on the front of the crank, turn the air off before you turn the engine. The air will cause the engine to turn up to 1/2 revolution and bust knuckles or break arms. Use the starter if it still works.

I hate to be captain obvious here, and im not really trying to kick a man while he's down, but when your vehicle starts to run hot pull over and kill it unless you are in a life or death situation. Hopefully its only a blown head gasket. Possibly at least the heads are now warped, or possibly a couple of valves are burned, or possibly its locked up.

no update rye?

Old post here but I have the same problem.
I was a idiot, I forgot I had only water in my radiator. It was about 10 degrees below zero with the wind!
I started my truck (02 XLT 4.0 V6) and was waiting for the heat to come on. It never did so I just drove it about 5 min down the road. Meanwhile it's been running for about 15-20 min now.
I get to my destination and see the radiator hose blue off & everything is frozen.
I try to add some real antifreeze but this is not working. I let the truck cool down and reconnected the hose to the radiator.
I head back to my location about 5 min away & the truck is not making it up this hill, the check engine light goes on & the overheating light I believe also.
I get it towed back to the shop and they said all it needs is a new water pump which was destroyed.
2 weeks later I have the timing chain noise & changed out the tensioners and nothing.
It won't move much, I dont think it goes over 1000rpms.
I changed all the spark plugs which were really dark & it still drives really bad.
Im not using this at the moment, just move it for the street sweeper every few days.
Sorry for the long story.
Any ideas on this besides a replacement engine?
Im in NJ if anyone has a donor engine!

Back