List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

We can only hope this will become a class action issue that will live on in perpetuity.
My 2003 Expedition had an all steel hood and was always parked outdoors and NEVER developed paint bubbles. ANYWHERE.
The paint did fade over the 14 years I owned it but it never bubbled.
Did Ford lose the knowledge and expertise needed to prevent this???
:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..................Did Ford lose the knowledge and expertise needed to prevent this???
:(
You are comparing two different materials. The 5th and 6th gen have aluminum hoods and that is what is causing the issue. I'm interested in seeing if the 2020 vehicles will have the same issue.
There has already been a class action suit filed in New Jersey. Ford Aluminum Hood Corrosion and Rust

Peter

Thanks Peter.
I guess my point was that a steel hood SHOULD be more susceptible to corrosion / rust than aluminum.
Maybe that is not the case.

Two different metals do two different things. Steel rusts, aluminum corrodes. Aluminum will never get rust spots or holes. If aluminum gets contaminated, the paint will bubble and start to peel off.

In regards to your Expedition, do a google search for "Expedition tailgate paint bubble". You will see TONS of threads/posts all over the internet for the same issue (tailgate is aluminum on the Expedition), especially around the license plate and tailgate handle.

Thanks for that info. I guess I was lucky in that my Expedition never had any bubbling anywhere. The only paint issue it had was fading because of 14 years of outside parking here in Southern California. I suppose that was inevitable.
Merry Christmas!

For those who had/are in the process of a hood replacment, did they blend the fenders or was the hood a good enough match?

I clear-bra'd first thing and I don't think Ford is going to cover it. Would like to keep the fenders as is.

They won't cover the clear-bra. On mine they said that they were going to blend the hood to match the fenders.

They did a very good job last June, however now I have a nice rock chip in the new hood. Sometimes you just can't win.

They wont replace the clear bra. Their responsibility is to fix it to the way it was brand new from the factory, not aftermarket.

As a matter of curiosity, do any other vehicles using aluminum body panels, such as the Ford F150 etc, have issues like this or are Explorer owners the only ones getting this extra special treatment.
The whole thing really is quite disturbing since the use of aluminum is an old technique. Virtually every airliner used to be made out of aluminum. You'd think they'd have this aluminum prepping and painting down pretty pat by now.
Seems like the light bulb at Ford has dimmed
:frown:

As a matter of curiosity, do any other vehicles using aluminum body panels, such as the Ford F150 etc, have issues like this or are Explorer owners the only ones getting this extra special treatment.
The whole thing really is quite disturbing since the use of aluminum is an old technique. Virtually every airliner used to be made out of aluminum. You'd think they'd have this aluminum prepping and painting down pretty pat by now.
Seems like the light bulb at Ford has dimmed
:frown:

Go up 5 posts from this one for another example.

Same deal with me....Hood repair was covered under warranty but wouldn't cover clear bra. The only reason the hood clear bra needed to be removed was because of the hood paint bubbling. I also find it strange that in somewhere around 15 years that they haven't corrected the problem at the factory. Yes I know they are playing the odds and figuring most people will get the corrosion but not check carefully or the corrosion will start AFTER the corrosion warranty expires.

My 2018 Sport was in the collision center for accident repair...(Front fender and bumper) which accident wise the damage was fairly minor. They were trying and appears to be successful was to NOT Replace Fender. I initially fought the plan but then I figured that replacing meant more prep/prime/paint and blending of the new paint to match the rest of the body. The front drivers bumper cap received superficial damage on the drivers side wrap around portion. I believe that did have to be removed for the scuff repair and repainted to blend the rest of the vehicle. Over all good work and no noticeable correction which means the repair and prep/prime/paint was done correctly. For their credit the paint was only about 18 months old at time of accident as opposed to several years of paint fading and UV sun fading.

I brought the vehicle in for the collision repair and asked if they could repair the corrosion for the paint...aa they say...."While your in the neighborhood" which prevented a second trip back to the shop. Warranty claim was approved and hood was replaced and the new hood was treated with the corrosion preventative method...(I want to say some rustproof corrosion compound that is either filler or a spray. Either way the hood was ordered and was done about two "ish" weeks after initial drop off.

Notes. THE HOOD Lettering WAS COVERED as part of the warranty process.

The Clear Bra the fender and bumper cap was covered as part of the collision claim but No Bueno n the warranty hood.

I fought dealer tooth and nail even used the..."I am holding the Survey until this is settled!" Dealer didn't seem, to care because even though the collision center and dealer are part of the same group...…(AutoNation) they are two separate entities for business purposes. Basically the bad survey for one doesn't affect the other.

A bitter pill to swallow ($225) and I am not totally done and I filed an appeal but expecting to be denied. Ford Corporate and Dealer won't take responsibility once again leaving the customer to pay.

When I thought of using a merchant dispute with my credit card company the dealer said they would charge me with Insurance Fraud by calling USAA. I advised a simple...Oh Contraire, Mon Frere`...... The hood Clear Bra payment was intentionally set up as a separate transaction to avoid this scenario.

Here is the bigger issue...... If the corrective action is to replace and treat the new hood with the rust proof coating before painting then why not just install the preventative coating at the factory and avoid the hassle....YES I know profits but how much profit is made when they get the warranty claim and still have to replace the panel...Hood, Liftgate, fenders....etc?)

I hate to say it but probably my last Ford product, I tried to be patient and initially went with the "NO Government handout" theory but quality control or lack of is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. You would think that a automotive factory that builds in one of the biggest cities of the snowbelt would be more attentive to corrosion and rust prevention.

I still maintain that I took pro active steps to reduce any rock chips, nicks and used the Dealer authorized Clear Bra vendor which cut to specs and made a nice form and proper adhesion. The corrosion still got through but I SHOULDN'T have to pay twice for being pro active in reducing damage. Especially with this being my seventh Ford Product in almost as many years.

My bubbling are was on the hood leading edge wrap around where the welding seam is. It could be anywhere but in my case it was between the X and P of the hood lettering or P and O.

2020 Explorer ST unless they get rid of that ridiculous Portrait layout of the new center stack Tablet or an option to rotate to landscape definitely a deal breaker. Ram and other vehicles have managed to fit in a 10-12" tablet in the center stack and form dashboard and instrument cluster around it to make the tablet look clean and professional. I would rather have a smaller tablet and flush look or make the landscape mode a option.

The last Ford idea also comes on the heels of them telling me my SYNC3 MAP Update which is still two years behind according to the database version is not available. I went through the site, typed in my VIN and said the Flash Drive was available and required for the update. Five different tech support requests for call back and walk through and almost $50 later the last tech support rep said that the update wasn't available.

In order to avoid any hassle and downtime with the car in the shop for the hood replacement and painting, I may just say screw it and buy a nice smoky black air deflector like I had for many years on my Expedition, and call it good.
Just a thought. It actually looks pretty good too.
41wDsIgj9mL._AC_.jpg

I have the smoke colored hood protector on my pearl white explorer and it looks really good. Plus, no chips.

All the hood protector is going to do is to mask the problem so that you can't see it. It won't prevent the problem from happening

Very true, but even if I DID get a brand new and newly painted replacement hood, who's to say it isn't going happen again in 2 years.
I'm in "Sunny SoCal" and even in this nice climate, it started on my car when it was less than 2 years old with under 20,000 miles.
Exceptionally disappointing for a 50K+ car.

For me I would have Ford replace and repaint the hood of their dime and then place the hood protector onto it.

I had a clear bra on mine from the dealer in 2016 and even with it wrapping around the front of the hood it didn't prevent the hood bubbling issue.

Same deal with me....Hood repair was covered under warranty but wouldn't cover clear bra. The only reason the hood clear bra needed to be removed was because of the hood paint bubbling. I also find it strange that in somewhere around 15 years that they haven't corrected the problem at the factory. Yes I know they are playing the odds and figuring most people will get the corrosion but not check carefully or the corrosion will start AFTER the corrosion warranty expires.

My 2018 Sport was in the collision center for accident repair...(Front fender and bumper) which accident wise the damage was fairly minor. They were trying and appears to be successful was to NOT Replace Fender. I initially fought the plan but then I figured that replacing meant more prep/prime/paint and blending of the new paint to match the rest of the body. The front drivers bumper cap received superficial damage on the drivers side wrap around portion. I believe that did have to be removed for the scuff repair and repainted to blend the rest of the vehicle. Over all good work and no noticeable correction which means the repair and prep/prime/paint was done correctly. For their credit the paint was only about 18 months old at time of accident as opposed to several years of paint fading and UV sun fading.

I brought the vehicle in for the collision repair and asked if they could repair the corrosion for the paint...aa they say...."While your in the neighborhood" which prevented a second trip back to the shop. Warranty claim was approved and hood was replaced and the new hood was treated with the corrosion preventative method...(I want to say some rustproof corrosion compound that is either filler or a spray. Either way the hood was ordered and was done about two "ish" weeks after initial drop off.

Notes. THE HOOD Lettering WAS COVERED as part of the warranty process.

The Clear Bra the fender and bumper cap was covered as part of the collision claim but No Bueno n the warranty hood.

I fought dealer tooth and nail even used the..."I am holding the Survey until this is settled!" Dealer didn't seem, to care because even though the collision center and dealer are part of the same group...…(AutoNation) they are two separate entities for business purposes. Basically the bad survey for one doesn't affect the other.

A bitter pill to swallow ($225) and I am not totally done and I filed an appeal but expecting to be denied. Ford Corporate and Dealer won't take responsibility once again leaving the customer to pay.

When I thought of using a merchant dispute with my credit card company the dealer said they would charge me with Insurance Fraud by calling USAA. I advised a simple...Oh Contraire, Mon Frere`...... The hood Clear Bra payment was intentionally set up as a separate transaction to avoid this scenario.

Here is the bigger issue...... If the corrective action is to replace and treat the new hood with the rust proof coating before painting then why not just install the preventative coating at the factory and avoid the hassle....YES I know profits but how much profit is made when they get the warranty claim and still have to replace the panel...Hood, Liftgate, fenders....etc?)

I hate to say it but probably my last Ford product, I tried to be patient and initially went with the "NO Government handout" theory but quality control or lack of is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. You would think that a automotive factory that builds in one of the biggest cities of the snowbelt would be more attentive to corrosion and rust prevention.

I still maintain that I took pro active steps to reduce any rock chips, nicks and used the Dealer authorized Clear Bra vendor which cut to specs and made a nice form and proper adhesion. The corrosion still got through but I SHOULDN'T have to pay twice for being pro active in reducing damage. Especially with this being my seventh Ford Product in almost as many years.

My bubbling are was on the hood leading edge wrap around where the welding seam is. It could be anywhere but in my case it was between the X and P of the hood lettering or P and O.

2020 Explorer ST unless they get rid of that ridiculous Portrait layout of the new center stack Tablet or an option to rotate to landscape definitely a deal breaker. Ram and other vehicles have managed to fit in a 10-12" tablet in the center stack and form dashboard and instrument cluster around it to make the tablet look clean and professional. I would rather have a smaller tablet and flush look or make the landscape mode a option.

The last Ford idea also comes on the heels of them telling me my SYNC3 MAP Update which is still two years behind according to the database version is not available. I went through the site, typed in my VIN and said the Flash Drive was available and required for the update. Five different tech support requests for call back and walk through and almost $50 later the last tech support rep said that the update wasn't available.
The hood letters were covered because they were OEM whereas the clear bra was an aftermarket item and not covered. The clear bra will do nothing to prevent the corrosion as it occurs from the inside out.
The portrait style screen is an option. The landscape one is standard. I don't know why it goes to portrait with the performance package.
Only the hood is aluminum. The fenders and liftgate are not.

Peter

Pete I meant Hood Fenders and liftgate as a general body common point.

According to the display at local auto show the Portrait was the only setting for the ST. They might have changed the programming after initial production but as of my last report there was no way to rotated the screen. The Portrait and Landscape May be a setting in the display menu but without being able to rotate the screen to landscape it does no good.

As for the hood Deflectors I have used both the OEM and AVS. The OEM fits fine but the mounting hardware is a joke. The AVS is a pretty simple bolt in just peel back the weather strip to along the screws and bolt through the weather strip to the mounting point. I like the OEM design due to the fact it is a total wrap around for the full forward curved portion of the hood. AVS mounting is easier but not quite full wrap around. Yes everything helps when I figure out the mounting hardware I will try again on the OEM deflector.

Agreed SMOKE is the color to have....blends in with the paint better and also blends in with the window tint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pete I meant Hood Fenders and liftgate as a general body common point.

According to the display at local auto show the Portrait was the only setting for the ST. They might have changed the programming after initial production but as of my last report there was no way to rotated the screen. The Portrait and Landscape May be a setting in the display menu but without being able to rotate the screen to landscape it does no good.

As for the hood Deflectors I have used both the OEM and AVS. The OEM fits fine but the mounting hardware is a joke. The AVS is a pretty simple bolt in just peel back the weather strip to along the screws and bolt through the weather strip to the mounting point. I like the OEM design due to the fact it is a total wrap around for the full forward curved portion of the hood. AVS mounting is easier but not quite full wrap around. Yes everything helps when I figure out the mounting hardware I will try again on the OEM deflector.

Agreed SMOKE is the color to have....blends in with the paint better and also blends in with the window tint.

The technology package gets you the portrait screen. If you opt to not get the tech package, you will get the 8" landscape screen. It has always been this way.

Back