What tire/wheel size are you running for winter tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tire/wheel size are you running for winter tires?

SuperGreg

Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Planning on getting dedicated winter tires due to occasional snow conditions here in the PNW, plus I live up a steep hill and then a long steep driveway. Over the past few years I've either gotten stuck at home or was unable to get home in my previous FWD car (w/o snow tires). That's why I got AWD but in my experience tires are just as important so I'll go all out.

I'm planning on getting another set of wheels, and when I lived in MT and always had studded winter tires we usually got narrower tires on smaller wheels. So I'm wondering what tire size are you all running for dedicated winter tires? I've got the stock 20" wheels on my Limited but I'm not sure that tire profile and width is best for snow tires.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a 33 page thread that may answer some of your questions. Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations
I use an 18" 235/60R18 Winter tire on the 18" steel Interceptor wheel. This was also used on my 2014 MKT. If I have to replace them, I will go with 235/65R18 which is an exact match for a 20".
Narrower, in this case, is better if you drive in a lot of snow.

Peter

Well shoot I searched and didn't find that, thank you I'll check it out! I really like the Interceptor wheels, got any pics?

"Generally, narrower tires are better in snow and on ice because they are more stable and get better linear traction by penetrating the snow. This is not always true though; on hard-pack snow, wider tires with more sipes are better."

I used stock Limited wheels for my snow tires, cost is the same as the steel.

I used stock Limited wheels for my snow tires, cost is the same as the steel.
In Canada, you can get the 18" steel Interceptor wheels for around $120 (CDN) and with the right tire size, you would have the equivalent of a 20" wheel for less cost.

Peter

In Canada, you can get the 18" steel Interceptor wheels for around $120 (CDN) and with the right tire size, you would have the equivalent of a 20" wheel for less cost.

Peter
I use the stock 20" Tires are 245 by 55 wheels where 600 for 4 shipped to my door (sport Wheels)

Back