2006 Ford Explorer XLT is stuck in park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer XLT is stuck in park.

Could this be the shift interlock solenoid

• Shift interlock solenoid

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Relay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sensor

• Other

• Total voters

Sonjanique Ferrell

Reaction score
City, State
Powder springs ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer xlt
Still trying to figure out how this works...I am retired from the army....100% part of the wounded warriors....love fishing, gardening and reading books...I know pretty boring to most...love my truck....I have a 2006 Ford Explorer xlt....it is stuck in park....I’m thinking it’s the shirt interlock solenoid? Anyone else know what it might be...everything else is working.....I also have a message caging to check all 4 lamps? Would this be a relay needing to be changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, so I am officially stuck in park, step on brakes nothing....turn car off and on three times...nothing.....jump start nothing......shirt interlock solenoid?

Welcome to this forum! :salute: Check the brake switch to see if it's working correctly as well as the fuses.
Thank you...I checked the fuses they are all good....are you talking about the sensor under the brakes on the floor, like up under the brake pedal?

When you hit the brake pedal, listen closely to hear for the interlock clicking...it's toward the right hand side of the shifter, just under the console plastic. If it's working, you'll hear it. Do this with the key on (of course) but the engine off and as little ambient noise as possible.

If it's working, you'll definitely hear it...sounds a good bit like a ball point pen being retracted/extended...can't miss it.

If you don't hear that, it's either bad or not getting power. It can be disconnected if worst comes to worst.

BTW, thanks for your service to this great nation. :)

you can stick a screw driver into the hole in the cupholder and over ride the lock out this way you can drive the truck until you further trouble shoot.... those actuators have been known to die and they provided that hole as a failsafe

Back