• Register Today It's free!

New Member Help

Eli Thompson

Reaction score
City, State
Punxsutawney, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Escape, XLS
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I joined because I would like some advice on buying a new (to me) explorer. I currently own an old beater 01 Escape that isn't gonna last too much longer. Now that I've had my new job as a teacher for a while, I'd like to get a good used car. I want an Explorer sport because of the more powerful engine which is important to me since I have to climb a lot of hills in PA on the way to work every day. I found this one a few hours away. If you click the link the description will tell you why the price is so good. Basically the dealer claims the car was totaled because someone spilled water on the 3rd row folding seat and the insurance company totaled it since the electronics had to be repaired. They repaired everything and it now has a rebuilt title. The car looks great in pics but I haven't had a chance to look in person yet (3 hrs away from me). I know it sounds too good to be true so it probably is, but what does everyone here who knows more about cars think?

https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/v...ode1=FORD&modelCode1=EXPLOR&clickType=listing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely have independent mechanic check it out. However, a few things do not make sense such as a used car lot replacing timing chain, tensioner and water pump as part of them servicing the vehicle. That is a expensive job ~$1800 -$2000. Most lots do minimal and sell. Someone must have poured gallons of water where seat needed to be replaced and to bleach floor pan. Have suspicion that this may have been a flood car. Unless you know cars and know where and how to spot a car that has been flooded I would be concerned. IMO it's possible that this is a case of it's too good to be true.

Checkout YouTube on how to spot a flood car.

What ESP company will sell you one on a salvaged title vehicle? And what insurance company will insure it?

Run away!!

Welcome to the Forum Eli.:wave:
Not sure what to tell you on this one. It does strange as xlt03 mentioned that a dealer would proactively do all the noted work. I'd check with your insurance company first to see if there would be an issue getting insurance. Just provide them with the VIN number and ask for a quote. I also have a difficult time trying to rationalize an insurance company writing the vehicle off due to water spillage on the 3rd row seats.

Peter

After reading the seller comments I put the VIN in Google and this is what I found:

Ford Explorer Sport 2015 Silver 3.5L vin: 1FM5K8GTXFGA11663 free car history

It appears that the primary damage to the vehicle was flood and that is was sold in an auction for $5,200. Spilling water on the third row seat sounded like quite a stretch for it being classified as totaled, plus the list of repairs is off the chart for this type of vehicle, very expensive for someone to have performed. A vehicle that has been involved in a flood would be a significant risk IMO, potential electronic damage in the body and engine, not to mention potential mold issues.

^^ Thank you. That makes much more sense than having it "totalled" for spilling water on the seat. Also, the "Condition" saying "Vehicle Won't Start" should be another concern coupled along with flood damage.

Peter

After reading the seller comments I put the VIN in Google and this is what I found:

Ford Explorer Sport 2015 Silver 3.5L vin: 1FM5K8GTXFGA11663 free car history

It appears that the primary damage to the vehicle was flood and that is was sold in an auction for $5,200. Spilling water on the third row seat sounded like quite a stretch for it being classified as totaled, plus the list of repairs is off the chart for this type of vehicle, very expensive for someone to have performed. A vehicle that has been involved in a flood would be a significant risk IMO, potential electronic damage in the body and engine, not to mention potential mold issues.

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks everyone. Obviously I'm not even going to waste time on this car, even though I'd love to have that specific one. But I'm patient and I know another will come up sometime. I have half a mind to leave this dealer a bad review for that kind of false advertising, but fortunately for them I'm not the type to bad mouth anyone even if I don't like what they're doing. Thanks again!

I have half a mind to leave this dealer a bad review for that kind of false advertising, but fortunately for them I'm not the type to bad mouth anyone even if I don't like what they're doing. Thanks again!

Sooner or later someone will buy this car, if it hasn't been sold already. Clearly it was not driven many miles from the actual miles it was sold from the auction at. Therefore, very little time put into finding the bugs or problems that the flood may have caused. To me, the most complex problems to solve are intermittent electrical problems which a car that has been in flood may have a few of, in addition to maybe not being able diagnose them properly if some of the electrical components have been damaged. I'm not sure if the car was backed into a water body or if it was submerged at the level of the third row seat which would mean the water had access to a lot of components including the engine, etc. It may not be long that we see posts from the person that eventually purchases this vehicle, but hopefully not, meaning that for some reason or another the car treats them well.

Back