Are used FOBs just as good as new? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are used FOBs just as good as new?

KY Girl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I know I'm not posting this in the right forum but I just cannot figure out how to post in the correct one. The New Members forum is the only one that gives me the option to create a new post. Also I have tried to look up previous posts about FOBs but when I click on them they have expired....so I'm getting frustrated.
Here's my issue. I just bought a 2018 Explorer with a 5 button FOB or Intelligent Access Key as it's called in the manual. I only got one and need to get another one. Are the used ones just as good? Ford says no, but I'm sure they want me to buy a new $250 one. They say the used ones might work or might not. I'd hate to pay the programming fee then the FOB not work. I can get a refund on the FOB but of course not on the programming fee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know I'm not posting this in the right forum but I just cannot figure out how to post in the correct one. The New Members forum is the only one that gives me the option to create a new post. Also I have tried to look up previous posts about FOBs but when I click on them they have expired....so I'm getting frustrated.
Here's my issue. I just bought a 2018 Explorer with a 5 button FOB or Intelligent Access Key as it's called in the manual. I only got one and need to get another one. Are the used ones just as good? Ford says no, but I'm sure they want me to buy a new $250 one. They say the used ones might work or might not. I'd hate to pay the programming fee then the FOB not work. I can get a refund on the FOB but of course not on the programming fee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go to Amazon and order off of there. Make sure it is fulfilled by Amazon for easy returns. You will still need to have someone program it since you only have 1 key. I know forscan could do it for some keys and others require a dealer visit and most likely a 1 hour minimum labor fee.

Is this the one you have?

Screenshot_20200104-111029_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ford told me it would be approx $250 for the FOB plus $50 to program it.

Here.. but it is a 3rd party sale. It is new though and oem.

Screenshot_20200104-134746_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you bought the Explorer from a Ford dealer, I'd go back and ask for a 2nd set since they all come with 2 initially. This now means that there is a fob 'out there' that can be used to operate your vehicle.
FYI, threads/posts don't expire and you should be able to create posts and thread in all our Forums.

Peter

Peter I bought it at a used car dealer and they said it only came with one. They offered to order one at their cost of $199 but they aren't going to pay for it. Yes there's another key out there somewhere but I found papers in the glove box saying it was a Hertz rental vehicle at Newark Airport in NJ and I am in KY so hopefully it's far enough away that there won't be a problem. I did contact Hertz and they said if there had been 2 keys they would have sent them both when they sent the vehicle to the auction. They did provided me with the maintenance records but they said there was no key to be found.

As for the posts expiring, I don't know what I was doing wrong but every reply I clicked on said it was no longer there. I don't remember the exact message I got. Oh well, I'll eventually learn LOL.

KY Girl, welcome.

Some locksmith businesses can program new fobs. There's a couple in Lexington that advertise that they can. Somerset may have a place.

As for the posts expiring, I don't know what I was doing wrong but every reply I clicked on said it was no longer there. I don't remember the exact message I got. Oh well, I'll eventually learn LOL.
It is possible that those posts were moved/merged with an existing one. Quite often a new thread will be started on an issue that already has been discussed so then the new one will be moved to the existing one to keep like posts together. That is why we encourage members to use the 'Search' feature first. Good luck.

Peter

Peter I bought it at a used car dealer and they said it only came with one. They offered to order one at their cost of $199 but they aren't going to pay for it. Yes there's another key out there somewhere but I found papers in the glove box saying it was a Hertz rental vehicle at Newark Airport in NJ and I am in KY so hopefully it's far enough away that there won't be a problem. I did contact Hertz and they said if there had been 2 keys they would have sent them both when they sent the vehicle to the auction. They did provided me with the maintenance records but they said there was no key to be found.

If you bring it to a Ford dealer, they can clear out the other key (the one that is missing) so you don't have to worry about that. Their cost of $199 is suspicious.. nothing costs an even (or odd lol) $199. Wholesale pricing to people who have accounts with Ford have pricing that is completely random.

Regardless, here is a site that has OEM FOBS brand new for around $100.

Smart - proximity keys - KeyLess Go

Hi all.
I have bought 2017 Explorer limited with one key
And now I want to by one more.
Is 2017 key compatible with 2019 key
they both use the same frequency 902
thanks

2017.jpg
2019.jpg

Welcome to the forum DrugOn. I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to give an update on what I decided to do about purchasing a 2nd FOB.

I was too chicken to go with a FOB purchased anywhere besides Ford because they won't stand behind the programming if you don't buy it from them. I checked with 3 dealers within 30 miles of me and the programming ran from $55-$75. The total prices for the FOB + programming was $295, $345 and $374. I decided to check with one more small dealership within that area and he gave me a quote of $270, (without breaking it down) so I went with them. That's a difference of $104 between 4 dealers. I might have been able to find it cheaper if I had looked further away but I figured I wouldn't be saving any money by the time I made 2 trips. You have to provide ID and proof of ownership when you order it and then of course go back to have them program it to your car.

I was shocked at the difference in the pricing so it definitely pays to shop around. I asked the small dealership what their price for non-warranty labor is and they said $80 per hour. I called just one of the other 3 and they said $102. Wow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.
I have bought 2017 Explorer limited with one key
And now I want to by one more.
Is 2017 key compatible with 2019 key
they both use the same frequency 902
thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you buy from a Ford dealer? If so, I would suggest talking to them about acquiring a 2nd key before going out and buying one. They may give you a break on the cost.
I'm amazed by the number of people buying a previously owned Explorer that only comes with 1 key. They all came with 2 from the factory. Don't forget you will have to have the key blade cut as well.

Peter

Back