• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Hubs

Trainmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Rockaway Beach NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Expr Ltd; 2016 XLT
This week I replaced two front wheel hubs on my 2010. They were singing. Thought it was the left and changed it, and some of the noise was still there. Changed the right and all's fine once again.

Used Motorcraft NHUB-6 hubs from RockAuto. About $150 each. Lots of Motorcraft's Chinese crap now unfortunately. The job had no problems at all. Took about 1-1/2 hours for each side. Bought a tool on Amazon that allows you to beat the old hub out of its knuckle with a small sledge. The hubs tend to rust in place around these parts and can be very stubborn to remove. I didn't want to fight with this all day in 30-degree weather. It was $100 but worth its weight in gold.

Probably could have chiseled them out without the tool. Each side came out in five minutes. The axle pushed right out after I took off its nut.

The little truck has 104,000 miles on it.

No problem; simple job. Local shop quoted $550 per side in labor alone, plus $450 each for parts. That would have been $1550 for the three-hour job in New York. Local Ford dealer said "About $2300".

Merry Christmas!

61aoiME1CeL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there Trainmaster -

I have seen that tool, comes handy when needed. Luckily, mine come out with few blows of 5lb sledge hammer, and I have done them dozens of times.
1500 from a shop and 2300 at a dealer ?
Where are they taking those prices from, the sky probably ?

PS: I used to go to Rockaways on weekends when I used to live in Jackson Heights.

PS2: When I took apart my v8 at over 200k, the timing components still looked good. The only items that needed replacement were the tensioners, but not critically.

Thank you, PL. I wasn't going to chance the bugger not coming out and having to spend all day with it. We all know what that's like. Too cold for that this time of year.

Encouraging to hear that your V8 held up. Lots of people talking doom about those tensioners, but I'll say most do hold up if the oil's changed once in a while.

I’d bet big money on 4.6L timing components over the Rube Goldberg setup on my 4.0L

PL... why did you leave Jackson Heights? Got tired of the airplane noise from LaGuardia?

Exactly :)
When you live in the middle of 5 subway lines (E,F,G,R,7), 2 blocks from Elmhurst hospital with ambulances going nuts every 4 minutes, 2 miles from LaGuardia with airplanes touching the roof of your building every 10 minutes, constant fight for a parking spot on the street, street cleaning Monday and Thursday, ............I can go on forever.
When we moved to Rockland, we could not sleep for few nights....too quiet, something must be wrong LOL

I get it, I’m 3 miles from Teterboro airport, and directly in the flight path for the main runway. Private Planes passing over my house every 3 to 5 minutes. One mile from Route 17, one mile from Route 80, one mile from Route 4. Kind of boxed in by highways, but only hear it if a truck jake brakes on the one slight hill.

I get it, I’m 3 miles from Teterboro airport, and directly in the flight path for the main runway. Private Planes passing over my house every 3 to 5 minutes. One mile from Route 17, one mile from Route 80, one mile from Route 4. Kind of boxed in by highways, but only hear it if a truck jake brakes on the one slight hill.
@michael loibl
Start thinking about retiring where minimal noise and confusion exist. Human beings were not intended to live as you describe. Grew up in Chicago, not talking out of my ass.

Many formerly rural states are now off the list: Colorado, California, Oregon, etc. due to ever-more restrictive control of personal rights-- (guns, ammunition, magazines, hunting, zoning, taxes, etc.). In MO Ozarks, no zoning law allowed us to build our own place without permitting! Took us years to get there, of course.

Arizona is good. We are now there forever, along Colorado River, will eventually die here. Happily. imp

Gotta get off Long Island. Oppressive politically and expensive

@Trainmaster

Born Chicago, 30 years there, married, sold family home owned by folks 34 years, cleared out, moved ourselves to S. Nevada. Then, best place I could imagine. Lived rurally, semi-rurally several states, had a far more interesting and involved life away from the big cities mostly, and today am living out my final years with my wife in Mohave County, AZ, near the Colorado River, happily making parts for cars and projects using my lathe, Bridgeport Milling Machine, welders, saws, thousands of pounds of tools. One of lowest COL areas in US. Consider it, make things work for YOURSELF, not the fujk'in politicians. imp

All NY is expensive and very overrated. NY is losing population faster than a tensioner in an old SOHC engine. :lol:
LI and Westchester takes the cake though. I mean, someone has to pay for cops who make 250K/yr, no?

Northern NJ isn’t much better. I am 9 miles from the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan, and the city folk look at my area like I am out in the country because of my single family home on a sprawling 48‘ x 100‘ property! The new toll rates went into effect this past weekend: its now $16 cash to drive over that bridge in a car, $66 if I’m towing my single axle jet ski trailer, and $110 for an 18 wheel tractor trailer! Don’t worry, you can get a slight discount for paying electronically.

I have a daughter in Ridgewood and I make the trip often. I see it on my toll bill...

Northern NJ isn’t much better. I am 9 miles from the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan, and the city folk look at my area like I am out in the country because of my single family home on a sprawling 48‘ x 100‘ property! The new toll rates went into effect this past weekend: its now $16 cash to drive over that bridge in a car, $66 if I’m towing my single axle jet ski trailer, and $110 for an 18 wheel tractor trailer! Don’t worry, you can get a slight discount for paying electronically.
@michael loibl

I feel for you guys! I'm no doubt much older, 77, but been around those "city blocks" as many thousands of times as you have, maybe more, voted, fretted, despised thieving politicians everywhere I've lived. Mostly, worked ass off, never had enough dough, light enjoyment like a movie topped the expense list often.

Most usually moving elsewhere is out because of "job, family, home-ties, dead economy (can't sell house), endless list. I dropped it all and walked, never looked back, nor regretted, and think I've lived longer for doing so. Best of luck! imp

Lots of good advice here...lucky for me, I was born in missouri, and my kids will be the third generation to live on this property...my dad, myself, and now my 4.
200 acre farm, deer, turkey, quail, though I haven't hunted in several years. These days the only shooting I do is killing paper targets and sometimes a juice bottle filled with water.

I'm 42. I expect to be here when they carry my carcass out under a tarp, someday...

My grandparents both passed in other places, and it's been 17 years this May for my grandmother, and 13 for grandpa now...but I still feel their presence once in awhile.
Home.

And how I miss them. Neither were alive by the time my first child was born, but I know....they're seeing us.

Sorry...kinda got on a thought and hung onto it.

Thunderbird, what you wrote is near to my heart, though my five kids will never enjoy the freedom you and your ancestors did. You see, my property taxes are $23,000/year in New York for my debt-free 60 x 100 home. If I left it to my kids, the state would quickly bankrupt them. They would die working two jobs to pay the $2000 monthly tax. The right to own a piece of the earth, and pass it down has been taken from me.

Thank God for what you enjoy in your free state. We don't all share those simple rights.

Who took this thread off topic ??:)

It's actually very interesting to hear your life stories - a nice break from timing chains and hubs LOL
TBird -
200 acres ???? That's a nice property. My 0.6 acre is just enough for me to maintain.
What kind of push-mower are you using :) ? I bet it's an 18" Walmart special.

Prices in NY/NJ/CT are off the charts. My old simple ranch house on that 0.6 costs us $ 16k in just taxes every year, forget the mortgage.
But I have friends in Hoboken for example and they also have a property (backyard) of 200.....square feet, 2 bedrooms and nothing else. And those units go for over $ 500k with unknown to me taxes.
I would not live in the city again even if they gave it to me for free.
I am having hard time understanding what drives those prices up constantly, proximity of Manhattan probably....and politicians :)

PL... I blame you and me for us getting off topic. You mentioned previously living in Jackson Heights, and then I took it further off topic

Guilty as charged :)
Still cool discussion.

TBird -
200 acres ???? That's a nice property. My 0.6 acre is just enough for me to maintain.
What kind of push-mower are you using :) ? I bet it's an 18" Walmart special.

lol..i have a little 20" push mower...it probably gets used 2 times a summer.

The main hoss is a crasftsman 54" rider...and I have a big yard. Takes about 4 hours if i don't eff around and stay with it till it's done LOL

Used to cut it with a 42". All day job. Would love to have a 60", but unless I win the lottery.... ;)

Damn, y'alls taxes are scary. Sucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back