• Register Today It's free!

Body Work Help

Jaason White

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hello, i was looking for advice on how to replace some rusted parts on my passenger side rear quarter panel. I attached pictures so you all have an idea what I'm working with
20191119_061658_HDR.jpg
20191119_061647.jpg
20191119_061647.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! It looks like you will need to cut the rusted panels, and replace those sections with new sheet metal. You will have a lot of work measuring, bending, shaping, cutting, welding, body filler, sanding, priming, and painting. Check the body work section on this site for more ideas.

If you've never done it before, you''re probably better off taking it to a body shop and having them do it. You can get used parts from a wrecking yard. They'd cut out an old one, then you'd have to cut yours where it helps, and cut the new one and weld it in and paint it. If you're a novice at paint and body work, this is most likely over your ability.

If you've never done it before, you''re probably better off taking it to a body shop and having them do it. You can get used parts from a wrecking yard. They'd cut out an old one, then you'd have to cut yours where it helps, and cut the new one and weld it in and paint it. If you're a novice at paint and body work, this is most likely over your ability.
So it would be a better plan if i bought a quarter panel (ive found one online for 89 dollars) and just yake it to a body shop?

Basically, yes. You should take it to a body shop and see what they say. They may require that they supply the part. There are plenty of "friends" that can fix dents and light rust, but replacing a quarter panel takes tools and skills to do it right. You could always spray can the paint if money is tight. And while you see 2 inches of rust on the surface, there is usually another 2 or 3 inches of rust that is hidden and needs cutting out before welding the new part on.

Back