Temperature gauge not reading correctly. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge not reading correctly.

Cpl. Opey

Reaction score
City, State
Cameron, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport 4x4
I had a smashed instrument cluster in my 96 Sport 4x4, my friend has a 2003 with a blown motor. I pulled the cluster out of it and put it in my 96. Everything works except the temperature gauge. I've hooked up my reader and watched the temp that way, stat is opening at 194 exactly as it should, but at that temperature the gauge in the cluster is almost topped out.
I know they read temp by resistance, does anyone know the difference in resistance, or have an alternate work around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be wrong, but I remember some mechanic (don't remember if he was a Ford mechanic) telling me that the thermo couplings are different from the 96 to the 03. If this is the case maybe the gauge from the 03 reads the resistance differently than the 96.

Exactly, this is exactly the problem. They both read the temperature by the resistance in the sender. I'm trying to find out what the difference in resistance is and if I can add a resistor in line to make it work correctly.

You could always swap in the newer temp sensor, it would have the different resistance.

The original is one prong, the 03 is two prong. I think the 03 uses a snap ring, while the 96 is threaded.
But I will definitely look into rigging something along those lines.

Usually the other pin just needs a ground. I'd look into temp sensors for newer (02+) modular motors (4.6/5.4) as they are thread in.

You could heat the sensor in boiling water and read the resistance that way?

Usually the other pin just needs a ground. I'd look into temp sensors for newer (02+) modular motors (4.6/5.4) as they are thread in.
I had not thought about that. I will DEFINITELY look into that route. Thanks a bunch!

Back