Cigarette Smoke Removal from 'New to me' 2018 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cigarette Smoke Removal from 'New to me' 2018

DonTomaso

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all - it's been a while since I've been on the site but here goes...

I just traded in my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT for a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT with 18,000 miles. It is in impeccable condition with one problem: my wife noticed that it was driven by a smoke (believe it or not, my nose didn't detectbit at first, but when I get in I now recognize it).

So I called the salesman (Ford dealership which I bought the previous one from) and he is scheduling me to come in next week to have it removed. I've seen mixed things online about such smoke removal (mostly covering up the odor) techniques but I'm thinking a reputable dealership would know what to do including changing out the cabin filter.

Any thoughts or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give the interior as thorough a cleaning as you can; clean the windows and thoroughly wipe every surface including the headliner with a rag. Then run an ozone generator inside for a few hours while the car is running with the HVAC set to recirc, then let it air out for a few days.
Is your explorer an ex-rental perhaps? I'd imagine the smell will dissipate on its own after a bit if nothing is done, the car is very young.

Highly doubt it’s a rental with that mileage, and having been smoked in. The rental companies crush you for that sort of thing.

Usually they can improve it quite a bit.

I used to work at a detail shop and we used vinegar in the clean solutions to get the smell out. The hardest place to get the smell out, is the headliner, as it just absorbs the smoke. You can wipe it down, but you really need to shampoo it and that is not practical, at least from my experience.

Apart from replacing the headliner(some of our customers would do a replacement), you can use the ozone generator and NON-sented febreze and that should take most of the smell out.

The only way I have found to get cig. smoke smell out of an automobile interior is to wash the parts, this includes all plastics, fabrics, remove dash and disassemble to clean every nook and cranny, shampoo or install new carpet, replace headliner, shampoo or install new seat upholstery, remove to wash heater core and a/c evaporator or just replace. The rule is, if any surface has nicotine, ashes, or cig dust in or on it, you will smell it.
My father died of lung cancer in 2007 for smoking for 50 years.
My mother is suffering right this moment from COPD and bronchitis from smoking for nearly 50 years, however she did quit smoking 3 years ago, HOORAY!!

Had a 2003 Explorer that I bought used in great condition but you could tell it was owned by a smoker. Cleaned the inside of the windows etc... as others have mentioned and also used odor eliminator febreeze. What little smell that was left, went away after a couple months.

Clean, clean clean as best you can.

Obviously change the inside filter, maybe even once a month for a while.

A "home remedy" that really works is charcoal briquettes left throughout the vehicle. They absorb odors and moisture. Maybe a weekend you are not going to drive the Ex, put briquettes on paper plates on the dash, seats, rear compartments, floor boards and even under each of the seats and just let it do its thing. You can get some info online about this.

Good luck and I hope you get it back to your standards.

Would baking soda do the same? I keep a couple of open boxes in the refrigerator for possible odour absorption.

Peter

I think that Baking Soda too would work, but in my DIY reading they claim charcoal briquettes are better.

Give the interior as thorough a cleaning as you can; clean the windows and thoroughly wipe every surface including the headliner with a rag. Then run an ozone generator inside for a few hours while the car is running with the HVAC set to recirc, then let it air out for a few days.

This! I did exactly this in my current Explorer that was probably smoked in for years. I shampoo'd every piece of fabric in it, wiped down all the plastic, and ran the ozone gen on re-circ for 1/2hr two separate times. I cannot even get a hint of smoke smell now.

This! I did exactly this in my current Explorer that was probably smoked in for years. I shampoo'd every piece of fabric in it, wiped down all the plastic, and ran the ozone gen on re-circ for 1/2hr two separate times. I cannot even get a hint of smoke smell now.
I work in car rental and our cars are very often smoked in. That's what we do to get rid the smoke smell and it usually works well enough.

Company truck I just got that was used didn't smell when I test drove but after dealer dropped it off the first thing I smelled was smoke. Oddly it was intermittent with days not smelling it then it was back again. Dealer sent it off to their 3rd party detailer and best I can tell it was fumigated with something. The smell was strong when I got it back and there was a placard on the dash that said don't enter until x time and after that drive with windows down for at least 5 minutes. This was done last Wednesday. So far so good and the product smell is slowly going away. Hopefully it lasts. I'll see if I can find out exactly what was used if it holds up.

Company truck I just got that was used didn't smell when I test drove but after dealer dropped it off the first thing I smelled was smoke. Oddly it was intermittent with days not smelling it then it was back again. Dealer sent it off to their 3rd party detailer and best I can tell it was fumigated with something. The smell was strong when I got it back and there was a placard on the dash that said don't enter until x time and after that drive with windows down for at least 5 minutes. This was done last Wednesday. So far so good and the product smell is slowly going away. Hopefully it lasts. I'll see if I can find out exactly what was used if it holds up.
Ozone

^^Thanks for the info. The member may no longer be following since he was last seen here on Feb. 23, 2020 but the answer may help others with the same issue.:thumbsup:

Peter

Plus, ozone will kill any varmints that might be lurking around. I have seen it used effectively for ****roach infestations etc.

Back in the day when I was a youngin living at home and a smoker I would use the ozium spray in my car. I can vouch that stuff actually worked. Maybe not as good as the ozone generator being suggested here, but enough to where my parents didn't know lol

Hello all - it's been a while since I've been on the site but here goes...

I just traded in my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT for a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT with 18,000 miles. It is in impeccable condition with one problem: my wife noticed that it was driven by a smoke (believe it or not, my nose didn't detectbit at first, but when I get in I now recognize it).

So I called the salesman (Ford dealership which I bought the previous one from) and he is scheduling me to come in next week to have it removed. I've seen mixed things online about such smoke removal (mostly covering up the odor) techniques but I'm thinking a reputable dealership would know what to do including changing out the cabin filter.

Any thoughts or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!
I worked n the car business for a number of years, and we had a solution to your problem we used whenever we got a trade in from a smoker. Cut an apple in half, and place each half under the front seats. Leave it for a period of time. You may have to repeat this process a few times before you get completely rid of the smell, but it does work!! Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can wipe down any hard, unpainted (uncoated) plastic and glass with an ammonia/detergent solution (DIY or pre-made like dillute Mr.Clean). Ammonia gets off tobacco tar residue better than anything else I've tried, but I would not let that get on any other surface before testing in an inconspicuous area to see if it causes problems, particularly not on any metalized trim, especially not aluminum.

Otherwise, same things you'd expect to use, upholstery shampoo, carpet shampoo (which is also good for headliners but much care must be taken to not damage it), mild detergent solution to wipe down everything.

Back