Shift Solenoid pressure when replacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift Solenoid pressure when replacing

ChrisRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Petaluma, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995, Ranger XLT
Hello,

I’ve been reading several posts about the shift solenoid replacement in the 4r44e, but I haven’t seen anything regarding pressure when putting the solenoids back inside the transmission. I’m not able to push the solenoid far enough into its slot in order to screw back on the bracket that holds them in place. Does anyone know what the solution to this is? I’ve taken all of them out (4) and only one or two are able to go into the slot at any given time.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift solenoids are on/off switches so I'm not sure you can measure the pressure, though I could be wrong. When I replaced them on my 5R55E I had the valve body removed and needed to play with the valves to get them to move enough to get the solenoids back in. The EPC and TCC are modulated solenoids so pressure can be measured. Here's a video by Hiram Gutierrez, he has lots of great info...

Shift solenoids are on/off switches so I'm not sure you can measure the pressure, though I could be wrong. When I replaced them on my 5R55E I had the valve body removed and needed to play with the valves to get them to move enough to get the solenoids back in. The EPC and TCC are modulated solenoids so pressure can be measured. Here's a video by Hiram Gutierrez, he has lots of great info...

This guy's YouTube channel is great

The replacement solenoids I used to replace the old solenoids don’t exactly match the Bosch ones in the ranger. The slotted openings do not have the same orientation as the originals. Does this matter? I haven’t seen any posts indicating that it is important. The truck won’t shift at all anymore, so I’m assuming that’s what caused it to stop working. I did not replace the TCC or EPC, only the 4 normal solenoids.

These are the openings I am referring to in the last reply.

DBF861F4-BBDE-4094-9064-AFE6A175F560.jpeg

The shift solenoids are basic on/off devices unlike the EPC & TCC solenoids which are pulse width modulated. This means that they are at various states in the open position, and are considered high wear parts. The valve body gaskets near those solenoids get the most wear since there is constant low frequency vibration. It's a good idea to check the valve body bolts with a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench when the pan is off while replacing the fluid & filter.

Back