Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the OTC SPX scan tool myself. I did get it before I knew about Forscan.

The SPX is probably slower and laggy, and expensive. However, I now that I have it I prefer to use the SPX rather than a laptop to do scantool functions, especially live data and recording of live data.

A good scan tool is useful when it can record data before and after a trigger point. SPX has the ability to record and save the before and after data when a fault code is set, or you can set your own trigger point.

Forscan is very powerful and may be able to do all this. If you don't mind setting up your laptop in your car, it may be worth seeing if and how it can record certain engine parameters. If Forscan is unable to record past and future data from the trigger point, this can be a valuable consideration for diagnostics.

Looking for recommendations on what repair manual you guys use. I want to get one for my Explorer and found this one. Are there any better onces you know of? Ford Explorer (2001 - 2010) Chilton

Watch Ebay like a hawk for the factory service manual. Don't get fooled into bidding too high. There are a few guys who bid up to about $80-$90 for a set, then try to resell at $400 hoping for a sucker. I outbid one of those guys by about $10 and got a set for $100. I've done that for both my Tahoe and Explorer.

Now I remember why I got the OTC SPX. I originally got it for my Tahoe. I don't think Forscan will cycle the ABS on a GM.

I have no updates or good luck solving this problem.

Back