Ghosttrain2's '86 Bronco 2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ghosttrain2's '86 Bronco 2

I took the hvac box out with the engine in, going back together the same way. Bundled the "extra" wiring into groups, for possible use later. Modified the automatic engine plate, to use it with the manual transmission. I "windowed" the plate where it was rubbing. New flywheel, and clutch installed.
20200120_122520.jpg
20200120_123701.jpg
20200120_124956.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dropped in the engine, and started hooking up plugs, vacuum hoses, and installed new power steering hoses.
20200120_130945.jpg
20200120_181202.jpg
20200120_181253.jpg

well done, first time I've seen the scatter shield modded to clear for the MT!!
Shes going together! Every BII needs a 4.0

What are you going to do about the starter hole? The auto starter won't work on the manual I thought.
Already bought a starter for a manual.

well done, first time I've seen the scatter shield modded to clear for the MT!!
Shes going together! Every BII needs a 4.0
Felt it was better than leaving it off.

Today's work- Transmission, transfer case, and Y-pipe are in.
20200121_163109.jpg
20200121_163113.jpg

Had to replace the fuse box on this... it seems that any of the connectors that are the white plastic are now very brittle, including the fuse box.
20200129_104211.jpg

Replacement-
20200129_104247.jpg

Managed to get the A/C box back in, tied up the wiring on the passenger side, and installed the air cleaner. The A/C box(at least the engine compartment side) are from the donor Explorer. The high blower relay, in the power distribution box
20200129_171850.jpg
is now wired in as well.

The to do list is getting shorter...waiting on some more parts, installed the A/C hoses, cruise control, transfer case shifter, transmission shifter, and finished taping up the wiring
20200130_174329.jpg
today.

Finally received the new battery cables, and got them installed.After checking for draws, started powering up circuits.
Cranked the engine over, to bleed the air out of the power steering... Turned the key on, and it fired right up! And, no check engine light, as it went off after starting. Still need to hook up the muffler, front driveline, skid plate, put the hood back on, and run it a couple more heat cycles.

Finished putting the dash back together, installed the front driveline, and skid plate. Ordered some exhaust parts to finish the exhaust.

HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running 4.0!
well done

Finally got the exhaust done, dropped down off of the jack stands, and put the hood on, and took it out for a short drive. The extra power is great! The transmission shifts smooth, Still waiting for the shift boots for the transmission and transfercase.

HECK YEAH! Welcome to the 4.0 BII club!

2.8 and 2.9 = boat anchor
The 4.0 is proper motivation for the mighty BII, seriously its like night and day isn't it?

I have been taking this on short trips, had a check engine light that finally became more than intermittent. It was the DPFE sensor for the EGR. Found out that these were upgraded by Ford, so now it has the new style one, and no more Check engine light. Still can't believe how much better this runs now with the 4.0. Drove it to town to fuel it up last night, and loved it. As a side note, as mentioned earlier, I used the Explorer engine compartment side of the A/C-heater plenum, which bolted right on, as the blower on that moves more air. Will see how much better the cooling is when I charge the A/C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Contemplating installing the axles from the Explorer that donated it's engine for this project. Looking into Aussie lockers for the front and rear.

Back