04 XLT Explorer Engine cuts off while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 XLT Explorer Engine cuts off while driving

forthvacav

Reaction score
City, State
Goochland, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
My daughters 04 explorer will cut off while driving down highway. She say engine cuts off like turning off key, she says that she pulls over comes to a stop and engine will start back up and she continues on her way. This has happened a couple of times the last few weeks. Also she said that twice this has happened all the dash guages where flickering or "jumping around" after engine stopped running. She says that also no check engine or anything like that has appeared on dash.
She also stated that the other morning the truck acted like it did not want to start, she said she had to step on gas peddle and hold it down to get engine to start. It ran rough for a few seconds then cleared up, not sure of whats going on there.

I popped hood up and looked at engine and noticed battery terminals where very corroided and I cleaned those up. But I don't think that has anything to do with the cutting off since when running the electrical power is provided by the alternator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first place to start is to see if there are any codes being thrown. Then go from there. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for free if you don't have a reader.

My daughters 04 explorer will cut off while driving down highway. She say engine cuts off like turning off key, she says that she pulls over comes to a stop and engine will start back up and she continues on her way. This has happened a couple of times the last few weeks. Also she said that twice this has happened all the dash guages where flickering or "jumping around" after engine stopped running. She says that also no check engine or anything like that has appeared on dash.
She also stated that the other morning the truck acted like it did not want to start, she said she had to step on gas peddle and hold it down to get engine to start. It ran rough for a few seconds then cleared up, not sure of whats going on there.

I popped hood up and looked at engine and noticed battery terminals where very corroided and I cleaned those up. But I don't think that has anything to do with the cutting off since when running the electrical power is provided by the alternator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok after much headache I found problem after bearing on alternator started making grinding noise. Replaced it has not cut off since then, 3 weeks running. but still alittle sluggest on the starting and after it fires up the guages still quiver for a few minutes. Do not understand the quivering.
Thanks to those who offered advice, also it's a 4.0 liter. also still no error codes thrown.

With the dash gauges flickering sounds like a bad ground. Check both ends of the cable.

Back