• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport - Wax Question

Kurama

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 401a
I absolutely adore my 2014 Sport, named Kurama. She has been meticulously maintained, not a scratch on her and the interior looks brand new. But, living in Wisconsin, we have snow and a horrid amount of salt. Not fun for vehicles, especially Kurama's Tuxedo Metallic Black. We also don't have a garage or a way to cover her (landlord doesn't even allow a car cover).

I've looked into having her professionally waxed and protected and have seen a lot about clay wax, but my customs guy said ceramic is the way to go. They recommended a local place and when I was looking at their Facebook, I found a photo of a ceramic coated Police Interceptor. The shine on it looked just like the paint on Kurama.

I don't think I can post that photo since it's a screenshot from their Facebook, but below is Kurama. Is there a way to tell if there is a coat already or would they be able to tell me? This may be a silly question but it has been on my mind. Is there such a thing as too much of a coat, or a better way to go?

Thank you for the help!

ETA: we've only had her two weeks, so I'm still learning all that I can about the Sport

IMG_20200115_215614.jpg

IMG_20200115_215408.jpg

IMG_20200115_220002.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would second doing the Ceramic, as it is far more durable and it will last. I have heard of several people doing multiple coats of Ceramic, so even if it is coated you should be good to have it done again.

I used these guys ( Speed Detailing & Jax Wax ) on my 2019 Sport, the wife's MKC and all of my show cars. They have polishers, will travel and a super great people to boot!

Ceramic all the way. I'd ensure you do 2 coats, it will last 3-5 years.

Ceramic all the way. I'd ensure you do 2 coats, it will last 3-5 years.

Are two coats done at once or is it one and then come back a few weeks later for another one?

Thank you all so much for the insight! Right now Kurama is a pretty shade of Road Salt Gray. Sigh.

Two at once. When you ceramic coat, you pretty much work a 12" x 12" spot at a time till the car is done. Then they go back and do it a 2nd time. It is very labor intensive so the cost is quite a bit more than a wax that one uses a buffer on and all it does is fill in scratches that show back up once it disappears.

Wow your finish already looks amazing!!! FYI I do the clay bar and hand was and it looks awesome on my x

Back