4.0 SOHC - when did it become reliable? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC - when did it become reliable?

SOHC V6 the cassette structural support is "plastic" that fails due to thermal and vibration fatigue.
Is there proof of that I think they fail bc of startup rattle

Reactions: imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well when I was a kid [i'm dating myself] 100k was a long way on an engine they got rebuilt then
roscoe

I'm about to trip 300,000 on my 2002 XLT, and I didn't have to do the cassettes until after 250K.

5000 mile oil changes with regular Havoline oil and Motorcraft filters.

Ford made reliability improvements to the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner and the left (front) cassette. As I recall all of the improvements were incorporated in the 2002 and later models - there were no additional improvements in later year models. The slack side of the rear (right) cassette is still not reinforced with metal.
tascartcassette.jpg

It seems to me that the cassettes in the Mustang 4.0L SOHC V6 are more reliable than those in the Explorers. That might be due to lower engine loads - less weight and lower speed axle ratio. Or it could be due to better periodic maintenance - synthetic oil, quality oil filters and less mileage between oil changes.

My 04 with 240k rear timing chain guide broke recently. 5k fully synthetic oil changes and Motocraft filter. Nothing lasts forever I guess

My 04 with 240k rear timing chain guide broke recently. 5k fully synthetic oil changes and Motocraft filter. Nothing lasts forever I guess
@miker104
Most say that over 100K is pressing your luck. You've beaten the odds! You ought to come out here to Laughlin and try your luck! imp

M9Z6y52.png

1999 Ford Explorer XLT..... She's been a great little ride. But it may be getting towards the end. Leaks just about every fluid now, transmission is slipping. There is a worrisome rattle when you use the passing gear (but its always been there).

Now at 312k miles. Only cost me $1,000 when I bought her with 140k. She needed a transmission and I found her a used one local for $250.

170k for $1,250. If this is the end, I'm not complaining one bit - although I'd love to see 500k.

Thanks for the ride little XLT!

M9Z6y52.jpg

1999 Ford Explorer XLT..... She's been a great little ride. But it may be getting towards the end. Leaks just about every fluid now, transmission is slipping. There is a worrisome rattle when you use the passing gear (but its always been there).

Now at 312k miles. Only cost me $1,000 when I bought her with 140k. She needed a transmission and I found her a used one local for $250.

170k for $1,250. If this is the end, I'm not complaining one bit - although I'd love to see 500k.

Don't let it die that would be like loosening a kidney

M9Z6y52.jpg

Keep going! Looks great. (You are almost fully broken in).

Keep going! Looks great. (You are almost fully broken in).

I would but she's got lots of little issues and parts are seemingly hard to come by. She now has
  • a cracked windshield
  • there is some sort of electrical issue that the codes indicate is a ground wire shorting out (Google searches indicate a short in the wiring harness going through the firewall) which keeps the airbag light on, makes the radio act crazy, flutters the overhead lights and stops the windshield water sprayer from working
  • the shift lever on steering column is loose and floppy
  • transmission is slipping (while driving it sounds like it is shifting in and out of a lower gear with about a 200 RPM change with each shift) - if I stop on a slight incline on the street in front of my house to check the mail, when I pull away she goes about 10 feet before the transmission stops pulling and I have to put it in reverse (sometimes park then reverse) to get her to go again
  • driver door needs new hinges (doesn't close well and water leaks in when raining or in a touch-less car wash)
  • rear hatch hinges or something need changing (door still is loose even when closed and locked and opening is not so smooth)
  • leaks oil (I think from valve cover gaskets)
  • leaks steering fluid
  • must be leaking antifreeze as I had to add almost a gallon the other day
  • headlights are awful - I'm almost better holding a flashlight out the window
  • the most worrying thing is a rattle that I hear when passing as it gets to the top of its RPM and lets off - not sure if that's some valve issue or other internal engine problem that will cause her to just stop some day
Even with all of that, I'd love to fix it all and keep her going. I hate the idea of letting her go to anyone else because I don;t know how she'll be treated. Honestly, I'd rather have her crushed than to have her mistreated. I know that's silly to a lot of people, but it isn't to me.

If I could get all of this fixed for around $2000 I'd just keep her.

I have a 2001 Ford explorer sport with the 4.0 SOHC. It has 250,000 miles, and i bought it for 270 bucks at 240,000. I still haven't heard any timing chain noise, but the fuel injectors sometimes start clicking loudly, but it is an old truck. I think so far its okay, its fun to drive and can still 0-60 in around 8 seconds. If you can get a cheap on like mine there nice trucks.

I would but she's got lots of little issues and parts are seemingly hard to come by. She now has
  • a cracked windshield
  • there is some sort of electrical issue that the codes indicate is a ground wire shorting out (Google searches indicate a short in the wiring harness going through the firewall) which keeps the airbag light on, makes the radio act crazy, flutters the overhead lights and stops the windshield water sprayer from working
  • the shift lever on steering column is loose and floppy
  • transmission is slipping (while driving it sounds like it is shifting in and out of a lower gear with about a 200 RPM change with each shift) - if I stop on a slight incline on the street in front of my house to check the mail, when I pull away she goes about 10 feet before the transmission stops pulling and I have to put it in reverse (sometimes park then reverse) to get her to go again
  • driver door needs new hinges (doesn't close well and water leaks in when raining or in a touch-less car wash)
  • rear hatch hinges or something need changing (door still is loose even when closed and locked and opening is not so smooth)
  • leaks oil (I think from valve cover gaskets)
  • leaks steering fluid
  • must be leaking antifreeze as I had to add almost a gallon the other day
  • headlights are awful - I'm almost better holding a flashlight out the window
  • the most worrying thing is a rattle that I hear when passing as it gets to the top of its RPM and lets off - not sure if that's some valve issue or other internal engine problem that will cause her to just stop some day
Even with all of that, I'd love to fix it all and keep her going. I hate the idea of letting her go to anyone else because I don;t know how she'll be treated. Honestly, I'd rather have her crushed than to have her mistreated. I know that's silly to a lot of people, but it isn't to me.

If I could get all of this fixed for around $2000 I'd just keep her.

That's the way I felt about my 94 Ex. It was hard to let it go. That was 2.5 years ago and I bravely ventured into a 99 Limited 4x4 with 160k. Last summer had front end done(wasn't able to do it myself, no place to work) for $1100. Nov. '19 new water pump, thermostat and housing plus upper lower intake gaskets. Then Dec. 14 the transmission took a powder at 188k. Really torn on spending on it, I really like it, but got an estimate of 3k. I'm unsure of attempting trans work. Looked at an '03 EB v8 4x4 that I can get for less than 2300 (still negotiating) and will most likely buy it tomorrow.
Thinking possibly to hold on to the 99 and look for a used trans and buy a rebuild kit and try my luck.But there'snno rush to do anything, got a place to store for the time being.

I'm about to trip 300,000 on my 2002 XLT, and I didn't have to do the cassettes until after 250K.

5000 mile oil changes with regular Havoline oil and Motorcraft filters.
@plasticseng

Personally, I began using Texaco Havoline way back in the '50s, always regarded it highly because it derived from Texas crude rather than Ohio. Texas was Naphthenic, distillate-bsed, Ohio Parafinnic, wax=based: know what wax is like? My brand-new Mustang 289 H.P. used NO havoline, but BURNED the new Mobil One Synthetic! imp

@plasticseng

Personally, I began using Texaco Havoline way back in the '50s, always regarded it highly because it derived from Texas crude rather than Ohio. Texas was Naphthenic, distillate-bsed, Ohio Parafinnic, wax=based: know what wax is like? My brand-new Mustang 289 H.P. used NO havoline, but BURNED the new Mobil One Synthetic! imp

I've become quite a fan of the Mobil Syn. Been using it for many years in my 94 Ex and the 99 I have now.

Back