II gen. offroad rocker panels/sliders from steel profile | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

II gen. offroad rocker panels/sliders from steel profile

slisman

Reaction score
City, State
Gdańsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer II
Hi,
as you know, rocker panels in II gen. Explorers like to get rusty.
In USA - brand new panels cost about 150$. But here in Europe - it is impossible to get them in decent money.

On the other hand, used steel is not thick, so they are not durable. So many offroad garages in my country replace OEM panels with steel profiles. They are heavy, but durable. Once you do it - you forget that rust likes your rocker panels :)

I am about to do such modification - but main reason is that I can not get OEM rocker panels in Poland.

Have somebody done this replacement? Maybe do you do have photos?
I am wondering if after cutting rusty places it will be enough space to weld steel profiles.

I enclose this modification made on suzuki vitara - https://plus.google.com/photos/117684531776465890709/albums/5835216394118995681?banner=pwa

prawyprog05.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice that will be nice for off road

I found this photo in another thread. It shows how rocker looks like after cutting rust. For me - helpful, I can image where I can weld to.

IMG_20170816_164439713.jpg

Nice topic and nice pic. I know a guy who has a Gen I explorer (93) which has a similar style of rocker. They are still frame mounted, but he also attached to the pinch weld that connects the floorboards to the rocker panels for extra support.
The Explorer is quite strong in this area it can be done. The connection between rock slider and body sheetmetal is the hard part to overcome here.
I plan to do the sliders on my BII in a similar fashion, however i have been planning this for years and have yet to do anything LOL

I want to see how yours turns out. I have rust in my rockers and I have been thinking the same thing. Put a 2x4 up into the rocker and also have mounted to the Frame.

First step of this works - only steel profiles instead of rocker panels, no rock sliders mounted to frame. Only to cut all rust and protect it with proper coats.
Rock sliders (for hi lifting too) are next step, in future for sure :p

Looks good, but with all that work I probably would have replaced both rotten doglegs.

What do you mean by "dogleg"?
Such replacement was driven by poor body parts availability in Europe - if any shop has such rocker panels they are extremely expensive. And if I'd like to import them from rockauto - shipping is very expensive too. So such operation is more cost effective in Poland :)

Good look I like it

What do you mean by "dogleg"?
Such replacement was driven by poor body parts availability in Europe - if any shop has such rocker panels they are extremely expensive. And if I'd like to import them from rockauto - shipping is very expensive too. So such operation is more cost effective in Poland :)
The dogleg is where the rocker transitions to the wheel well.

Now I get it.
But to be honest - cost of this whole operation with inner rocker rebuild, steel profiles, 2 elements body+paint works (small corrosion near fuel filler neck and symmetrically on the other side) was nearly the same as the parts with shipping and customs. So choice was easy here :)

Back