2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 2wd oil pressure light comes on at idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 2wd oil pressure light comes on at idle

armie

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 explorer limted V8 2x4
My oil pressure light comes on every time the car comes to a stop like during idle and when accelerating the light goes away I’ve already changed the oil pressure sensor like about a year ago please help me find out what it can be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first is to use a oil pressure test gauge and test it. If that reads low pressure at idle then you have a mechanical problem if it reads within specs then it is an electrical problem. This needs to be done first before going any further that will tell you where to go next.

Oh and check the oil level just to be sure it is correct.

Well first is to use a oil pressure test gauge and test it. If that reads low pressure at idle then you have a mechanical problem if it reads within specs then it is an electrical problem. This needs to be done first before going any further that will tell you where to go next.

Oh and check the oil level just to be sure it is correct.
Ty I will do this and update the status

can I check the oil pressure with my scan tool

can I check the oil pressure with my scan tool
No you must use a mechanical gauge connected to the port where the oil pressure switch is now

Nope, oil pressure is only reported to the instrument cluster.
At this point the FIRST thing I would do is change the sender. Very common issue to go out.
If you have oil issues, trust me, it is going to have an "audible alarm" if you know what I mean.

No you must use a mechanical gauge connected to the port where the oil pressure switch is now

Hi Donald, then how does the ECU know the pressure is low please? Thanks!

Hi Donald, then how does the ECU know the pressure is low please? Thanks!
the oil pressure switch detects is pressure is <15psi iirc, so if the switch circuit is open its classified as lo pressure, or thats my understanding of it...

the oil pressure switch detects is pressure is <15psi iirc, so if the switch circuit is open its classified as lo pressure, or thats my understanding of it...

Thank you for the fast reply!

So there’s no DIGITAL oil pressure sensor on this engine that can read numbers?

Thank you for the fast reply!

So there’s no DIGITAL oil pressure sensor on this engine that can read numbers?
as far as i know, there is no actual reading, just a greater than or less than, 0 or 1, ;) open or closed... however, one can be added by "T" ing off at the pressure sensor iirc... i thin theres an article by 2000streetrod

edit: it appears as if the threshold is somewhere around 5 psi

GEEZ!!! thats low!!! if the "gauge" (idiot light disguised as gauge) shows low, you have huge problems by then!!!

Back