Stereo control and climate control issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo control and climate control issue

bgunn761

Reaction score
City, State
Carlsbad, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. Has sync and the touch screen. None of the stereo or climate control buttons either on the touch screen or on the dash panel work unless I disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Then everything work fine for that key cycle. once you shut the vehicle off its right back to square one. Also, while this issue is occurring it blows heat out of the defrost with no ability to change it until you disconnect the battery. any help or advice is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum .:wave:
Is the ability to change the heat flow also only last for the same key cycle? And when you say it goes back to "square one" after shutting the ignition OFF. If you then turn the vehicle OFF and back ON is everything okay again for that cycle? Are you still on the original vehicle battery? Strange happenings. I think it might be easier to diagnose if the items didn't go back to normal.

Peter

Ok so I just went back out and tried it and now even after I disconnect batteries nothing works. So as of now nothing works. I can turn volume up and down on the steering wheel but not with the knob. Touch screen controls seem to work for stereo but not climate control..

Not original battery but it's roughly 3 years old. Maybe 4

There was another member who also was stuck with heat blowing from the defrost vents and was not able to change it. His issue was a bad actuator. Your situation seems a little different in that you were able to change it once you cycled the key before. So what you're saying is that now nothing to do with Climate works. You can't change blower speed or change temperature settings. Is that right? Have you tried doing a System Reset from the MFT screen?

Peter

That is correct. I can't change anything related to climate control and I can't change anything related to the stereo on the dash controls. I can only change stereo options on the steering wheel and touch screen. But the touch screen controls for climate don't work either

Are you stuck on the Entertainment screen or are you able to change to others like Navigation? Try the System Reset. I believe it is under the settings on the MFT screen.

I can switch between screens. And all the controls on each screw work except for climate control. I have tried the system reset. Sorry I should have mentioned that and responded when you asked.

I guess it could be the APIM although in most cases it hasn't just affected just one item. Maybe some other members will have an idea of what it might be.

Ok. When i get a chance I'll get a video of everything that it is doing and post a YouTube link

Although you can't control it but is you blower motor working?
There is also a fuse #46 in the cabin fuse panel which is shown as being for the Climate Control Module. I'm not sure if that has any connection to the panel not lighting up.

Peter

First I want to say thank you for your responses and I appreciate you trying to work through this with me.

Yes blower motor works. At 30 degrees I have to roll down windows because it gets so hot inside the car and there is no way to control it lol. Fuse is fine.

Pull the bezel off make sure It didn't come disconnected. If not it's possible the board went bad in the bezel. With the bezel disconnected the heat will automatically turn on high out the defrost...and obviously no buttons would work

Pull the bezel off make sure It didn't come disconnected. If not it's possible the board went bad in the bezel. With the bezel disconnected the heat will automatically turn on high out the defrost...and obviously no buttons would work

Ok. Thanks for the response. Based on your response I'm leaning towards it being bad. Until recently I could disconnect the battery and it would be fine for one key cycle. I wouldn't think that would be the case if it was just unplugged.

I am having this issue right now with my 2013 Explorer XLT. The source of the problem was a leaking sunroof that poured water in down onto the touch screen and into the panel where the climate control and volume dial is located. Immediately I was unable to control the climate at all (heat is stuck on) or volume. As you said, I can control the volume on the steering wheel but that is it. The touch screen is still lit and responds to touch with sound but will not change climate or volume. Could this be something as simple as a fuse? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Lisa.:wave:
Where water is involved with electrical components, it is hard to tell. How long ago did this happen? Is it possible that there is still water or dampness in those items?
Fuse #46 in the cabin fuse panel is for the Climate Control Module. Not sure if that may be part of the issue. Do you have the 8" screen? The APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the brains of the MFT. I don't know if it could have been affected in one way or another. It is located behind the CD unit.

Peter

D
I am having this issue right now with my 2013 Explorer XLT. The source of the problem was a leaking sunroof that poured water in down onto the touch screen and into the panel where the climate control and volume dial is located. Immediately I was unable to control the climate at all (heat is stuck on) or volume. As you said, I can control the volume on the steering wheel but that is it. The touch screen is still lit and responds to touch with sound but will not change climate or volume. Could this be something as simple as a fuse? Thanks.

Have you Finally got it fixed yet?

I am having the same issue after changing out terminal connector on the battery.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
Have you tried a Master Reset?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back