I Hit A Deer: Questions About Rebuilding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Hit A Deer: Questions About Rebuilding

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
Last fall, I was threading the needle over and over and it seemed like the deer were on a suicide mission. Finally, my luck ran out. I added comprehensive to my Insurance policy a day late and a buck short. A trophy buck. Right at the begining of the hunting season, I hit a very beautiful 8-point buck that ran right in front of me while I was being blinded by some A-hole with HIDs. I can still drive the truck, but there is a lot of cosmetic damage. Also, the washer tank is broken and the passenger door cannot be opened.

I am slowly collecting parts to fix this thing. One problem is finding fenders for a 2004 Explorer at the junk yeard that aren't rusted away. I'm in upstate NY. My truck is from GA.

I recently had the idea of adding the front grille, hood, bunper, lights, and fenders from a 4th-gen Explorer. I saw where someone added tail lights from a 2006 Explorer to a 3rd Gen model, and it looked nice. Also, the parts lined-up well. Can I do that? Wil the parts bolt-up, and do the lines and contours of the body panels line-up. I need all the parts I just mentioned, so getting them off a newer truck would hopefully increase the chance of finding fanders that aren't rusted..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rust? The front fenders and hood are all aluminum...(at least on mine, no idea if it's trim dependent)
I’m pretty sure those fenders are steel.

Rust? The front fenders and hood are all aluminum...(at least on mine, no idea if it's trim dependent)
The hood is aluminum, but the fenders are steel. In a junk yeard there are lots of 3rd Gen Explorers with rusted fenders. Some are pretty much intact, but some are eaten-up. Among those that are intact, it would take a lot of work to repair the pitting.

My thought is, if I could use parts of trucks are much as 5 years newer than mine, it would make it easier to find fenders that aren't rusted. Also, there is the added bonus of a style upgrade. I need to replace all the body work on the front, anyway.

Why don't you just buy new ones? Rust would no longer be a issue, just the cost of painting them to match...

Explorer_Fenders_RA.png

The hood is aluminum, but the fenders are steel. In a junk yeard there are lots of 3rd Gen Explorers with rusted fenders. Some are pretty much intact, but some are eaten-up. Among those that are intact, it would take a lot of work to repair the pitting..
Must be a year-specific thing... my 02 has aluminum fenders and hood.

Wow! Learned something new. Just checked my '02 XLT with a magnet. Sure enough, aluminum front fenders and hood. I had no idea, and I've owned it for 18 years!

My '03 has steel fenders and aluminum hood.

Back