Trim Rings for PIU Steelies? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trim Rings for PIU Steelies?

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
My wife thinks the factory steelies on a PIU are too "cop looking" so I'm willing to compromise by adding polished stainless trim rings if I can find any.

Anyone ever tried this before? Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife thinks the factory steelies on a PIU are too "cop looking" so I'm willing to compromise by adding polished stainless trim rings if I can find any.

Anyone ever tried this before? Thanks for any input.
Looks to me like only one company is making 18in rings, and they are not compatible with our wheels. I have a set of the "full wheel covers" that are painted silver that I don't use if you end up not being able to find anything you like.

Thanks for the info. I will keep looking for either trim rings that will fit the police steelies or a way to convince my wife the SUV won't look too police like for her. If neither works out, I may get back to you with an offer on the covers.

Not sure what color your Ute is so I cant speak to if she would like the look more or not, but you could Plasti-dip the chrome caps black to match the entire wheel. I did mine this way last winter and it really changes the look more than you would imagine.

Ended up having a body shop prep, paint, and bake the rims black and the center cap silver. A great compromise. Don't look too "coppish" for the wife but look look good enough for me. The Ex XLT
ExpNuBack.jpg
came with Ultra Motorsport "Spline CAV" wheels which were two-tone which I wasn't crazy about but painting them this way made a difference.

OK, I am possibly putting steelies on my XLT down the road. One company selling 18" trim rings said that theirs specifically do not fit on PIU steelies due to the lip design. I have inquiries out to other hubcap/ring dealers with 18" trim rings.

Does anyone know why a trim ring would not fit PIU steelies? Or, has anyone used trim rings on their steelies?

I know my wife would be more accepting if I could just soften the cop look a little. I am almost willing to buy a set and experiment with modifying or jerry rigging the mounting method.

Not sure what color your Ute is so I cant speak to if she would like the look more or not, but you could Plasti-dip the chrome caps black to match the entire wheel. I did mine this way last winter and it really changes the look more than you would imagine.

Do you have a pic of those caps, and how are they holding up?

A company looked at photos I took of PIU rims and said theirs would fit fine despite other companies specifically identifying the PIU and Sedan steelies as incompatible with their trim rings. I ordered a set, I can return them if they don't fit.

However, my steelies are a week or so away. Will post pics once they arrive.

A company looked at photos I took of PIU rims and said theirs would fit fine despite other companies specifically identifying the PIU and Sedan steelies as incompatible with their trim rings. I ordered a set, I can return them if they don't fit.

However, my steelies are a week or so away. Will post pics once they arrive.

Mounted my steelies but the trim rings would not work. The short first ridge of the rims is too shallow to allow the rings to attach.

Ford Flex owner checking in here...Did anyone find trim rings for the Police Interceptor steels?

Welcome to the Forum Pete.:wave:

Peter

Ford Flex owner checking in here...Did anyone find trim rings for the Police Interceptor steels?
I tried long and hard to find some sort of trim rings for my steelies. There is insufficient depth of the rim to accept the "claws" of trim rings, even the ones designated for shallow wheels. I thought about cutting off the claws and substituting super strong magnets, etc. but I didn't think they'd hold on.

I just used the plastic wheel covers from Ford

Back