Headlight problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
I have headlight problems in my 97 Ford explorer.
When I checked the headlights, the side (orange) ones work fine when I test them but the main ones that are troubling me. I have a driver-side high beam that works, but not the passenger side. I have watched a video that helps but doesn't solve the problem. I learned from that video that it is the lamp out module and to change it you would remove the center console and repair it that way.
I have removed it and I do not see where it could be. Does this happen to be a year issue, trim issue, or something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be there on a '97 if you have the optional Message Center console found on Limited & Eddie Bauer models.

I think its the base model package. It has the message center at the top.

Okay...then you've got the std lower console and thus, no Headlamp Out Module. So, the fun begins. Just to be clear, the passenger side doesn't work on either high or low beam...and, the driver side only works on high beam? And, not to be insulting...but, you've confirmed the bulbs themselves are good? I don't know if a defective MFS (Multifunction Switch) would cause this kind of problem. Maybe someone with more electrical experience will chime in.

I don't know what "message center at the top" means, but if there is no display that could show that a headlight is out, odds are you don't have that option nor the LOM (lamp out module).

You wrote "I have a driver-side high beam that works, but not the passenger side.". Does this mean that both low beams work?

The high beams don't even go through the LOM if you had one, just low beams do.

We can rule out the headlamp switch since it's common to both. We can also rule out the MFS because it too, is common to both.

The wiring is the same until it splits, so you could use a multimeter to check wire resistance from the interior fuse panel fuse #33 (if your wiring diagram matches, check your owner's manual for which fuse is headlight high beams, the diagram I see is #33 for both high beams, #4 for left low, and #8 for right low).

Fuse 33 should have low resistance to the positive headlight contacts on both left and right, or if it is more convenient (probably so) you could check resistance between the left socket high contact and the right socket high contact. Obviously you can also check for whether 12V is present between the high beam contact and chassis ground when high beams should be on, but if a wire is frayed or the contact corroded to a high resistance state, it could read 12V with no bulb in but pull the voltage down too low with a bulb installed.

If your low beams work, your grounds should be okay as both high and low beams use the same ground.

Otherwise I'd check resistance of the high beam element in the bulb or visually inspect looking for a blown high element, comparing left bulb to right if needed, and looking for corrosion on the bulb socket contact.

You could also try swapping the left bulb to the right side and vice versa to see if the problem follows the bulb. Here's the wiring diagram I'm looking at:

Attachments

• headlights-headlamps-fog-lamps-circuit-w-o-drl-1-of-1.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 106

I just re-checked the situation with my headlights. It turns out my passenger side bulb for the main headlight was loose and that fixed the highbeam and is working correctly.
The parking lights are the ones not working now. Should I still test the fuse box and see if that is the problem?

Yes check the fuse, and the park lamp relay next.
Quick question: where would the park lamp relay would be?

Screen shot 2009-12-23 at 3.18.41 PM.png
Driver floor board next to your right foot under the radio little black box

Thanks

fuses & relays.png

Had similar problem. Checked then changed the multifunction switch.

Back