93 explorer starter wiring routing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer starter wiring routing

Tlmker

Reaction score
City, State
MARENGO, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hi,
My name is Rich; I'm new to the forum.
I have a 93 Explorer XLT that I purchased new. I drove it for about 8 years and had a major engine problem. I took the engine out and then wound up taking a job with an international company; my Explorer sat in the garage all of this time. I just recently picked up a replacement engine and decided it was time to put it back together. It's been a long time and I actually have done pretty good getting it back together since I did a decent job of marking everything, but one thing that has me a bit stumped is the routing for the cable assembly leading to the starter. This should be pretty straight forward, but there is a bracket on the assembly that includes a ground wire and mounting screw; I've been looking around and I can't figure out where/what this mounts to. It doesn't help that I cant remember if the cable routed around the front of the engine or around the back.....I believe around the front, but I'm not positive. I've attached a couple of pictures of the bracket on the cable assembly.
If any of you have a 93 and can send me a photo or diagram of this cable routing, or can explain the path and mounting location of the bracket on the assembly, it would be a huge help.
Thanks in advance!
mounting bracket_1.JPG
mounting bracket_2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, Rich!
Is that the negative battery cable? If so, it bolts to the lower of the two bolts that hold the starter on.

Welcome, Rich!
Is that the negative battery cable? If so, it bolts to the lower of the two bolts that hold the starter on.

Hi Bill,
Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply.
No, it's actually a bundle that has the primary power and control wire to the starter solenoid and also a separate ground coming out of a common bundle all attached to a metal bracket that mounts somewhere...that's my problem, I'm not sure of the routing for this (I know it has to attach to the solenoid, but by what route?) and where does that bracket mount. It doesn't help that I took this apart about 19 years ago......Right now I have it routing out the front, but I suppose it's possible it went around the back of the engine?
I don't think those first pictures I posted were clear enough,,,please see the attached.
It looks like you have a 93 Ranger XLT; is it with a 4.0 engine? This may have the same setup,
Thanks!
Regards,
Rich
bracket_harness_1.JPG
bracket_harness_2.JPG
bracket_harness_3.JPG

Ground for negative cable should be a (13mm?) bolt just forward of the oil filter housing

The bracket attaches to the engine block on the passenger side down low. The wires are routed around the back of the engine.

The bracket attaches to the engine block on the passenger side down low. The wires are routed around the back of the engine.
Hi,
Thanks for the info!
Around the back of the engine on top of the transmission bellhousing, correct?
Really appreciate the help.
Regards,
Rich

Not over the bellhousing. It goes under the engine at the rear of the oil pan. By the way take a good look at the battery end near the clamp for corrosion under the cable jacket. I replaced a starter once thinking the starter was bad. But it was a bad connection at the battery end of the cable due to corrosion. Now is the time to check.

Not over the bellhousing. It goes under the engine at the rear of the oil pan. By the way take a good look at the battery end near the clamp for corrosion under the cable jacket. I replaced a starter once thinking the starter was bad. But it was a bad connection at the battery end of the cable due to corrosion. Now is the time to check.
Thanks again for your help; got it routed and connected OK!
Battery side looks good; this Explorer has sat in the garage for a long time. Saying out of the weather has helped to keep corrosion under control.
Regards,
Rich

Back