Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED

Javier V.

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I have been selected to meet in Houston One/one with Ford (for the Explorer only) Engineers. The purpose is to review my experience, issues, future suggestions etc. I am give 1.5 hour one/one time. So this will be a important meeting with no selling only riding in my Explorer and discussing as above.

I would like input from all of the Explorer owners on the above. Meeting is Feb 29th. at 11AM, anything you guys can come up with, I'll write it down and make sure to bring to their attention. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reviewing all of the complaints I've made about my Explorer Platinum, I think I could live with all of them. even the front suspension issue, if there was a way to quiet the engine. It's not likely we'll see that happen. Javier, I hope you can bring the issue up with Ford. Congrats on being invited to the powwow.

I don't think that it is, or at least i hope not. I meant to ask if anyone else received an email from Ford about this event, either here in Houston/The Woodlands or any other city? Email I received looked pretty legit. oh btw, the reason the my post looks the same is because one of the mods decided to split them up, since he has Aviator and I have the Explorer. Looks like he just took his post and just changed it to Explorer.

Issues I have:
1> Poor placement and size of the wireless charging pad.
2> Cheap feeling/uninspired dash (previous gen felt more luxurious)
3> Horrible transmission shifting even after firmware update
4> Engine sound on 4cyl sounds like cheap Hyundai

Kudos:
1> Exterior design
2> Changing tire size from 255/50R20 to 255/55R20. I did that on my 2016 to help absorb road shock
3> The back cargo storage much better with the floor cover

I'd love to hear answers about the missing pieces (too eye, under carriage etc) and would love to hear what they have to say about the driveline clunks that all these Explorers are being bought back for.

My 1st appt is for tomorrow where I have a large list of things to have taken care of. All of which I am confident will be less the driveline clunk. I hope they wont play dumb and will be honest with you about it.

I'd go armed with these posts printed out for them to read if they deny any of it.

Echoing some here:

1) 2.3L 4 cyl noise is abhorent. Just awful for a $50k vehicle. Powerful, but seriously unrefined.
2) Very poor fit/finish on cheap plastic dash
3) Certain display settings will not persist. I select EcoCoach, and consistently the next time the vehicle is started that option in Select Screens is unchecked.
4) Had to replace wiper blades. Both very noisy skittering across the windshield at 700 miles.
5) Persistent mechanical noise under mid-vehicle when opening the doors. I've read elsewhere that that is supposed to stop after a couple of times, but it's not stopping.
6) Auto/Stop Start stopped working. Always says vehicle charging. Do i have a battery problem at 900 miles?
7) Poor carpet fit and cut. Several rough spots showing.
8) Initial BCM malfunction. Module replaced and reprogrammed. Seems to be working.
9) Placement of cell charging pad is pretty ridiculous. Out of sight encourages me to forget it is there.

If you're brand new to the forum (haven't been lurking before you joined), there's a bunch of information on the 6th gen forum that should be shared with Ford. Going by replies and views, the "Multiple Suspension Noises" thread should be required reading for a Ford engineer assigned to the 2020 Explorer. Then as others have already mentioned, there's missing parts: tow hook(eye), air deflector, engine bay strut tower insulator, etc, and transmission issues, electrical problems, dead batteries, etc, etc. If nothing else, refer the engineer to this forum.

Good luck Javier V. I hope you can do some good with Ford.

Here’s a list of questions you could consider:

Is there a major update coming/in the works? A large portion of our issues are software related and I believe could be easily fixed in a dealer update.

Integration of cameras:
For those with ST and Platinum trim why can we not access a full screen views of individual cameras that makeup the 360 camera?

Why can’t we enlarge the 360 camera?

Why can’t we change the default view of the backup camera?

Tech Pack:
Why for those with the 10.1 in tech pack display can we not have an orientation that is larger than it is?

Why can’t Apple CarPlay have a vertical orientation now that Apple has opened support for such orientations?

Interior:
Why is there no way to raise/lower seats from the middle row?

Why can’t I open the panoramic sunroof shade and sunroof simultaneously?

Why can’t I select a large format tachometer in normal and eco driving modes?

Why can’t I one touch close the rear windows?

Safety:
Why can’t I dim the digital gauge cluster more?

Why don’t the headlights provide any light to the left and right for making turns?

Performance:
Why does the transmission shift so aggressively?

Why did they give the Platinum a lesser HP tune?

Why don’t they offer ST or Platinum in RWD like the Aviator with same engine?

Why didn’t they create custom driving modes like Mustang where I can select steering, transmission, and engine sound independently if they’re all factors that change with preprogrammed modes?

Why is the Explorer ST PHEV not available in the US?

Why didn’t they just delay the launch of this vehicle to address quality issues?

Like others I would like a definitive answer about the missing rear air deflector on the Platinum. Also the owners manual on page 295 states the towing eye should be with the vehicle at all times, why was it not shipped with one? Can the camera software be updated to give a full view of the rear camera when in reverse, lots of wasted screen area on the upgraded technology package.
Is there any chance that the Sync 3 software on the 2020s can be upgraded to Sync 4?

TBill

Javier,

Please ask the FORD engineers, as a group, to raise their hand if they ever heard of a guy named William Edward Deming, and please get back to me with the yes to no votes.

Also, will the Mini-Bronco will get a 7 Speed Manual?

Thanks -

fast_dave

Good morning
I have a 2020 ST
Have the HD brake option & pads are very noisy
Tow Hook & lower Rear wind deflector missing
Would like more programming flexibility for instrument cluster
Want real time gauges for oil pressure, trans temp, engine temp, charging voltage etc
My VIN is 1FM5K8GC1LGA82326
Purchased from Jones Ford, Buckeye, AZ
Purchased 12/30/2019
As a retired automotive fuel systems engineer I wish I could be there to meet with them as well
Michael Wolfe

Why was the AUX Port eliminated. With the no CD Player, having the port makes it possible to connect devices like a CD player.

The biggest item is QUALITY CONTROL.......after that I go along with all the other inputs that the folks have made. Based on my experience with this vehicle , I will probably not but another Ford product.

Wow, thats quite a bit of info guys, but very helpful no doubt. So one thing is, I've been lurking here for quite a while ever since we saw the Explorer ST on the lot. The explorer is acutally for my wife, she initally wanted the Edge ST, ever since we saw it at the Houston Auto Show. We went to go test drive the Edge just around the time the Explorers were hitting the lots and we test drove both of them. fast forward to November and we picked up our Atlas Blue ST on Black Friday. I was well aware of the suspension noises a lot of ppl are experiencing, but I decided to go for it anyway. I didn't hear any clunking or rattle initially, but I can definitely hear it now, It doesn't drive me crazy but I will make sure to bring this up during the interview. Really I'm just waiting for them to come out with a TSB of some sort, since it appears all that have reported this issue have had their struts replaced with no improvement. Like others have said, I really believe this has to do something with the AWD system and I hope they can figure it out and fix it.

Javier, how were you selected specifically to speak with Ford engineering?

My questions/concerns:

- Transmission hesitation and clunking. Is there a software update to become available?

- Transmission cooler leaking. This is a known common problem. Have the replacement coolers been updated and proven to be reliably manufactured?

- Wiper blades streaking. Specifically the very center of the driver's side blade. I have had 3 sets of blades on with no improvement. Glass was cleaned to crystal clear. Is this a windshield issue? Or maybe a wiper arm geometry issue?

- 2.3 engine noise. Quite a bit of racket and sounds very unrefined when accelerating. I posted a thread on this months ago which didn't really get too many responses. But I see someone else above me mention it as well.

- Sync over the air updates. Will they become available?

Wow, thats quite a bit of info guys, but very helpful no doubt. So one thing is, I've been lurking here for quite a while ever since we saw the Explorer ST on the lot. The explorer is acutally for my wife, she initally wanted the Edge ST, ever since we saw it at the Houston Auto Show. We went to go test drive the Edge just around the time the Explorers were hitting the lots and we test drove both of them. fast forward to November and we picked up our Atlas Blue ST on Black Friday. I was well aware of the suspension noises a lot of ppl are experiencing, but I decided to go for it anyway. I didn't hear any clunking or rattle initially, but I can definitely hear it now, It doesn't drive me crazy but I will make sure to bring this up during the interview. Really I'm just waiting for them to come out with a TSB of some sort, since it appears all that have reported this issue have had their struts replaced with no improvement. Like others have said, I really believe this has to do something with the AWD system and I hope they can figure it out and fix it.

It is definitely with the awd and it is only happening on the 3.0 motors (ST and Platinums only).

yes, its what i've gathered with everything ive read here. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me since 1) its my wifes car and I usually only drive it on the weekends 2) only hear it when in parking lots (walmart, malls, etc.) She has not mention that shes heard it and I definitely not gonna tell her about it until Ford comes out with a fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm writing some things down, so far the missing parts are the air deflector in the rear, tow hook, fuel filler funner and the engine bay insulator, right? anything else?

Back