Plugs at the bottom of the door drains? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plugs at the bottom of the door drains?

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
Why are these there? Do they actually serve a purpose? I'm missing a few so I'm just not sure if they really matter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great question Harley. Often wondered myself. I sprayed fluid film in all my doors and the fluid film destroyed the pluga. So I just left them out. If the plugs are left in any water can accumulate in the door. But there are 2 small weep holes in the outer most corner of the doors that can plug up and not drain water. I would leave them out. So why did Ford put them there ????????

Yeah it really seems weird to me, i might just take the rest of them out since it seems like they will just reduce the effectiveness of water draining and increase the likelihood of dirt and other stuff getting lodged

They are designed to exclude dust. In some market areas, heavy road dust is a problem.

I've actually had the opposite problem recently. On my driver side rear door, after it rains (or sometimes just a very cold, humid day), when that door is opened, a bit of water pours out of the cabin. It's as if I had a small leak in the weather stripping up top, and it could not find it's way out. But when I look around the perimeter of the door, I can't find any wet/dirty "trails" from water making it's way in. My concern of course is standing water on that sheet metal.
Ideas?

Barkesman you have an interesting issue. My first thought was humidity but not real sure. Are you saying the inside of just one door is getting wet?

Is the water nightly condensation sitting in the fold of the upper door weatherstrip?

Yes, it's only on that 1 door. I really don't think it's humidity because (1) it doesn't happen on any of the other doors, and (2), it's a decent amount of water (about a cup, I'd estimate), not just some drips.

the holes are there to let the E coat drain after the vehicle is pulled from the dip tank then they get capped off

Yes, it's only on that 1 door. I really don't think it's humidity because (1) it doesn't happen on any of the other doors, and (2), it's a decent amount of water (about a cup, I'd estimate), not just some drips.
I have the same exact issue you are describing. Can you tell me the fix you found?

I've actually had the opposite problem recently. On my driver side rear door, after it rains (or sometimes just a very cold, humid day), when that door is opened, a bit of water pours out of the cabin. It's as if I had a small leak in the weather stripping up top, and it could not find it's way out. But when I look around the perimeter of the door, I can't find any wet/dirty "trails" from water making it's way in. My concern of course is standing water on that sheet metal.
Ideas?
The two rear doors in my Mountaineer collects water that gushes out when they are opened after a rain. My 2007 Mustang does the same with its doors. Its a Ford thing and may of their vehicles do this.

The two rear doors in my Mountaineer collects water that gushes out when they are opened after a rain. My 2007 Mustang does the same with its doors. Its a Ford thing and may of their vehicles do this.
Anything fix the issue? I feel like it's the cause of the smell

Sort of related but not really. 2017-18 Super Duty trucks were known for having the latch mechanisms freeze in cold weather. Part of the solution was to take the rubber plugs out of the door bottoms and leave them out.
When the 2019's came out, those holes were still there from the factory but the rubber plugs were not.

I occasionally run a vacuum cleaner (with the small brush attachment) under the doors to hopefully avoid this problem...it's worked so far.

Back