Did I score? 1997 Limited 9/10 condition 96k V8 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I score? 1997 Limited 9/10 condition 96k V8 2wd

Fredzeller

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited 5.0 V8 2wd
Hi.
Never owned a Ford. I feel like i won the lottery by finding a 1997 Limited with 96k miles V8 2wd and in almost mint condition, one owner in southern california. I got it for $2400. It's beautiful. I had to borrow the money to get it, i aint rich, and i was just looking for a car for over a year on Craigslist and thought this was a lie when it popped up. My question is... is there anything to do, like change the timing belt etc. (im not mechanically inclined) to keep it going for years? It would help me out to be able to use it for many many years.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fred

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah buddy! Very good purchase to suit your needs
5.0 rwd automatic is a VERY reliable vehicle
Limited has all the goodies
Good idea to plan to change all fluids and filters, 1997 was a LONG time ago
The front and rear diff, transmission fluid, power steering and brake fluids should all be replaced...........This often get overlooked
Search around the Explorer forum website here to learn more about your 302 v8 pushrod explorer
You can find the keyless entry code location, the air suspension on and off switch, how to perform the EATC self test and other handy things that you may not be aware of that thing can do

As mentioned above, change all fluids. Mercon in the transfer case, NOT Mercon V. Change the fuel filter—it is often neglected. No timing belt—it’s a chain.

Approaching 100k I would check the serpentine belt and tensioner, do plugs/wires. Check tires and brakes. Grease/lube the suspension and all pivot points as best as you can.

The V8 and 4R70W Trans will last a long time if well maintained.

Congrats...that's a great find! Should provide you with many years of reliable service. Hopefully, the previous owner provided some details on what maintenance he has done so you can concentrate on those that still might need attention.

I got it for $2400. It's beautiful. I had to borrow the money to get it, i aint rich, and i was just looking for a car for over a year on Craigslist... is there anything to do, like change the timing belt etc. (im not mechanically inclined)

Besides changing the fluids, I wouldn't pay anyone to do anything to it yet unless something is clearly necessary. Instead work on paying it off first. An old vehicle that you owe on is not a good investment yet.

Thank you so much everyone, this was a huge help!!!! Excited to take care of this Explorer! Ill be checking out more around this forum from now on and learning all I can. You guys rock!

Hi.
Never owned a Ford. I feel like i won the lottery by finding a 1997 Limited with 96k miles V8 2wd and in almost mint condition, one owner in southern california. I got it for $2400. It's beautiful. I had to borrow the money to get it, i aint rich, and i was just looking for a car for over a year on Craigslist and thought this was a lie when it popped up. My question is... is there anything to do, like change the timing belt etc. (im not mechanically inclined) to keep it going for years? It would help me out to be able to use it for many many years.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fred
Replace Air Idle Solenoid. Gets worn out and carboned up.

Back